𝟐.𝟐

After her brief conversation with Lydia and bidding her farewell, Charlotte made her way toward the detention classroom, where she found the girls gathered

After her brief conversation with Lydia and bidding her farewell, Charlotte made her way toward the detention classroom, where she found the girls gathered. To her pleasant surprise, the T-Birds were also present, engrossed in a spirited card game in a corner of the room. Despite the weight of detention hanging over her, an inexplicable sense of happiness fluttered within Charlotte's chest.

As she entered the room, Charlotte greeted her friends with a warm smile and a cheerful "Hello, girls." In response, she was met with three bright smiles, accompanied by a slightly crooked one from Cynthia. Unable to contain her joy, Charlotte walked towards Cynthia, enveloping her in a tight, affectionate hug. Cynthia couldn't help but burst into laughter, a sound that never failed to warm Charlotte's heart.

Jane, standing tall and filled with purpose, caught the attention of the group. "I'm so glad you've arrived," she announced, her voice brimming with determination. "I want all of you to listen to my speech about Buddy."

"Of course, go ahead, Janey," Lottie encouraged, her eyes gleaming with anticipation. The girls settled into comfortable positions, their attention solely focused on Jane. The boys, too, seemed captivated by the impending speech.

Jane took a deep breath, her voice steady yet filled with conviction. "Future voters," she began, her words carrying a weight that demanded attention. "I stand before you today to shed light on the truth, the truth about what transpired between myself and my opponent, Buddy Aldridge." A hushed silence fell over the room as everyone leaned in, hanging onto Jane's every word.

"We did not go all the way," Jane continued, her tone laced with both disappointment and defiance. "He lied, not just to his friends, not just to me, but to all of you. Now, I ask you, does that sound like a good guy?" Jane's speech reached its climax, leaving the room in stunned silence for a few moments. Lottie thought the speech was decent, but perhaps a different approach would have been more effective.

However, before any response could be heard, the T-Birds interjected with their typical charm and questionable comments. "Agh, so shrill!" Gil exclaimed, his remark earning an exasperated glance from Lottie. "I felt like I was being scolded," he added, displaying a lack of empathy.

Shy-guy chimed in, offering his own opinion. "I don't know, she sounds jealous," he said, his words prompting Lottie to roll her eyes. The guys seemed incapable of thinking beyond their own shallow perspectives.

Potato, living up to his reputation, interjected with a crude comment. "Ah, Jane, can you repeat what you said? I was thinking about the last time I saw your bottom," he blurted out, earning an exasperated sigh from Lottie. She could see the frustration mirrored on Jane's face, a shared understanding of the boys' immaturity.

Amidst the disheartening responses, Richie's voice rang out, bringing a glimmer of hope. "I liked it," he said with a smile, his words momentarily brightening Jane's expression. However, his final remark dashed their hopes, "But I don't vote," he admitted, eliciting a collective sigh of defeat from the girls.