Chap. 4: Flashbacks and Birds

~ Lark's P.O.V. ~

"I'm hungry..." Luffy whined quietly. Zoro sighed and looked around the sea.

"When will we reach land?" Zoro questioned and I shrugged.

Luffy let out a whoosh of air as he answered. "Who knows...? We go where the wind and sea takes us."

"Will we reach land?" Zoro mumbled out.

I answered this time. "Well, I'm sure we will... someday..."

Zoro straightened out and I peered at him from underneath my hat. "Isn't it weird that you want to be the Pirate King's crew and yet you don't have any navigation skill?"

"It's not strange," Luffy whined. "I just drift in the sea."

Zoro turned towards me with an exasperated look and I just shrugged at him. "Don't look at me... I have the navigation skills of a gnat."

Zoro scowled. "Do gnats even have navigation skills?"

"Who knows?" I hummed. "All I know is that they're bugs or insects. Whatever they are. You, too... aren't a pirate hunter of the sea?"

"I don't recall ever being a pirate hunter." Zoro's head fell back as he gazed at the clouds. "I went out to sea looking for a man, but I got lost and couldn't find my village. I had no choice but to hunt pirates for the reward."

"What," Luffy said, watching the ocean, "So you were just lost."

Zoro lifted his arms and feet up and slammed them down onto the deck, making the boat rock. "Don't say it like that!"

My eyes widened and I let out a small yelp as I rolled one way to another. "Dammit, Zoro! Look what you did!"

I managed to grab his leg so I'd stop rolling, causing him to yell out. I grabbed for my hat and looked over at my brother. My eyes widened when I saw his straw-hat fly up along the sail. "Ah..."

I heard Luffy murmur the one name that always made me tense up. "Shanks..."

I could tell he was remembering the times he'd spent with the man and his crew. I rocketed to my feet so I could try and level out the boat as Zoro and Luffy went after the hat. I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized they caught it. I remembered the time he'd gotten the hat...

~Flashback Friday- Ages: M.D.L.: 7, M.D.S.: 9~

I scowled as I watched the rowdy pirates. I turned to Maki-nee with a pout. "Maki-nee, how come there are hardly any female pirates on the seas?"

Luffy and the pirates were having their own conversations so I stuck with Maki-nee. She smiled at me fondly. "Well, Sky, most people think that women should stay on land because they're-"

She was cut off by a loud crashing noise. All of those in the bar looked towards the other pirates that were now entering the bar. It was unbearably silent, but I didn't dare to break it. Neither did Luffy. I locked eyes with my little cousin. I mentally called out to him.

'It'll be okay. Maki-nee and the pirates- our pirates will deal with them.'

Luffy nodded slightly. 'Yeah. Of course everything'll be okay! After all, Shanks is here!'

I gave him a faint smile before turning slightly on my spot on the counter. The other pirate captain was talking to Maki-nee and he was getting angry. It got worse when Shanks spoke up. I tuned them out, paying more attention to Luffy, who had a furious expression. 'Luffy...'