Ren x (gender-neutral)Reader - fantasy au

Thannnnk youuuu for the +800 reads guys❤️🫶🏽

I've been trying to follow the plan I originally had and that wasn't working

I've been trying to follow the plan I originally had and that wasn't working. So I did something different. Hopefully it's still good.

Enjoy✨
════════════════════════════

When he woke up that morning, the last thing Ren expected to do was gardening. Yet here he was, stuck with a stranger to take care of some plants.

"Remind me why I'm here again?" Ren asked.

"To help me, of course," someone replied. That person, head deep inside a cabinet, was F/n: Kita's friend and a person who used magic to grow plants. Walking around them were their cats: Skylar and Onyx.

Companions, not familiars, he remembered them saying. Standing at F/n's workstation, Ren listened to them list the few rules to follow during his stay.

"Please be attentive; I'm only saying this once."

"Understood."

"Perfect! Let's start: don't smell any fumes or touch liquid exudate. If something looks normal, it's not; if it looks dead, it's not. If you hear anything strange, don't worry about it. If you see one of the cats inside a plant, don't worry about it either."

"These rules are concerning."

"Hardly," F/n brushed him off. "Now, the most important rule? Don't freak out. My plants are sentient and will attack if they see you as hostile. And trust me when I say this, you don't want to be tossed headfirst into a pitcher plant. Any questions?"

"Are you a sorcerer?"

F/n poked their chin, thinking. "Maybe? I think I'm just good at using magic to grow plants."

Just like Kita had told me.

Ren shook his head, and F/n brought him deeper into the garden. Placing the basket on the table, F/n started making their quote-on-quote potions. Ren watched them meticulously measure and mix different formulas. Some grew plumes of smoke, some changed colours, and others gave off smells of decaying flesh. Ren stepped away from those.

"Time to feed my plants!" F/n exclaimed. They gave Ren a large dropper which he fervently refused to use.

"I don't think I'm in the right state of mind to get close to your plants," he argued.

"That would make you a useless aid," F/n countered. "You're helping me whether you like it or not. Now, come with me. I'll give you the easy ones to do."

Sometimes Ren cursed himself for being a gentleman and overall polite by nature. He followed F/n around, dropping the formulation onto various plants. Ren watched some coo while others chirped in response to F/n's affection. The bigger ones would growl, and he swore he heard one bark.