Suna x (female) Reader

I open my eyes to a dark sky cloudy with no sun, silent without a bird song, and cold despite the still wind. It's eerily quiet, yet it brings me no unease. With each breath, I realize my state: awake, conscious, breathing...alive. I turn to my left, where you would sleep and see nothing. The spot is empty, with no imprint on the mattress.

I remember. I'm alone in your bed. I'm unable to sleep in my room. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw you. You and your glistening eyes, obsidian black and smirking; your silky brown hair scented like peaches and your smooth fair skin.

I saw the man who stood beside me, the sweetest boy, always teasing and annoying me. I saw my husband holding my hand, telling me how much he loved me, and peppering my face with kisses. The man whose cheeks blushed at simple compliments, daring me to call him adorable one more time.

I saw the father of my child, my sweet little girl, always scaring all the boys away and loving her with all his heart. You were her world, just like she was yours.

And now...You're gone.

The happiness of my memories is clouded with grief. Now, all I see is death. Your eyes sparkle no more, and no breath leaves your lips. And life painfully reminds me of this every morning when I call your name and hear my voice echo back to my ear.

"Rintaro."

A knock at my door. It opens.

"Mama? Are you awake?"

Here comes my daughter, Kaoru: my little butterfly. Forcing a smile on my face, I peek at the door. She gasps and runs over, climbing onto the bed.

"Mama, you are awake!" she giggles, plopping onto my stomach. "Mama tried to trick me."

"I must've had my head in the clouds," I reply, poking her plump cheeks.

"Did you see Papa up there?" she asks. I almost freeze but keep smiling.

"I saw him and a little butterfly running around and causing trouble."

Kaoru puffs her cheeks, pouting. "We didn't cause trouble...well, not often."

I raise a brow, knowing how much those two loved to stir drama. "I'm sure you weren't two little drama queens."

"Papa was the drama queen," Kaoru says. "I'm the drama princess."

"Oh, really?"

"Yep! I even have funny pictures of Uncle Tsumu saved on my camera."

I chuckle. That was no surprise. Kaoru was a copy of her father.

"Mama, can you tell me a story?"

"In the morning?"

"Storytime has no time," she reasons. I nod and sit, crossing my legs under the blanket. Kaoru joins me, eager to listen.

"Do you want a story about Papa?"

"Yes, please!"

"Alright, I'll tell you how we met."

"But Papa already told me that," she whines. I ruffle her hair.

"You didn't hear my side of the story."

"Is it funny?"

"Very."

"Okay!" She holds onto a pillow while I remember my younger days.

🦋 ———————————————
"Hurry up and go!"

"Why me?!"