Chapter 4: New beginnings

Author notes: they're finally getting closerrrr

Tori's PoV

*----------*

Honestly, the last thing I expected when I was about to leave for school was a phone call from Jade, but a whole bunch of shit was weird with her lately. Normally Beck would've taken her to school, but she asked me instead. I was a little skeptical at first, but eventually I agreed to talking Trina into stopping by her place. When we arrived, Jade was already on the doorstep waiting for us. The ride was pretty quiet, she didn't speak much the whole time, and I definitely did not want to ask if something was wrong. She seemed pissed, and I didn't wanna repeat of yesterday. She didn't even tell my sister to shut up when she was singing badly to the music that was playing, and that was a pretty clear hint that something was seriously up. She spent the whole time staring out the window, whilst my eyes were fixed on her. I wondered what was going on, and I was starting to feel more worried for her by the day. Things were just getting weirder and weirder. She looked over at me a couple of times for a second, and I couldn't help but notice the sad glint in her bluey-green eyes. God, she was beautiful. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous of her. She was so mysterious, and her hair flowed over her shoulders in such a way that it looked magical. The turquoise streaks dyed into it made her stand out in a crowd, not that she wouldn't anyway. She's Jade West, and I've never met anybody else like her. Even if she was mean most of the time, I still looked up to her in some type of weird way. It was really odd that she'd just started being nicer out of nowhere, right after that argument, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't sort of like it.

Once we arrived at school, she glanced over at me for a second.

"Thanks, Vega." She muttered, eyes staying on me for another few seconds. I sat there, mouth agape. Literally how the fuck does she have this effect on me, we're not even friends. 

"Y-you're welcome." I stuttered, still a little in shock that this had genuinely happened. She called me out of all people. I saw a slight smile pull at her lips, and I swear I could've passed out right then and there. This shit was so weird.

And then she was gone, marching off into the building, whilst I sat there trying to comprehend this morning's events, still super confused as to what had even happened from yesterday's acting class up until now. It's like she switched up in two seconds, and I was seriously puzzled, and suspicious! I know Jade's always been unpredictable, but this was genuinely out of character for her. After a while, and a death glare from my sister, I finally got up and made my way toward the building.

Once I entered, I looked around at the crowded hallway, and scanned the area for Jade, but there was no sign of her. I figured she probably just went to go buy a coffee or something, and made my way over to my locker. Once I got there, I stood around checking my phone whilst I waited for the bell to ring. I couldn't see any of my friends, so I thought I'd check The Slap. I was scrolling, when I came across Jade's profile. Radio silence. Okay, now something was off. She'd post literally all the time, but hadn't posted one update in like a week. I put my phone back in the pocket of my jeans, and started fumbling around in my locker, when I was interrupted.

"Boo!" A familiar high pitch voice called.

"Hey, Cat." I spoke, turning around to be met with her and her bright red hair. She smiled at me, bouncing up and down on her feet.

"Have you seen Jade? I didn't see her with Beck when he walked past earlier." She asked, clearly unaware of the fact that I had been the one to bring her friend in.

"Uh, yeah. I drove her in today." I responded, smiling back at Cat. Suddenly, her smile faded.

"What? Why? Was she okay?" Cat asked, now appearing worried. I honestly felt guilty for her, she was losing her best friend right in front of her eyes, and couldn't even do anything to help. I pulled my books out of my locker, and slammed it shut before answering her.