Chapter 6: Morning after

Author notes: 

Tori's PoV

*------------------*

I led Jade to my bedroom, making sure to stick closely behind her. 

Once we arrived at the door, I walked past her to open it, brushing up against her as I did so as a result of the cramped hallway. I looked over at her, and was met with a blank and cold stare. I couldn't really tell if the look I was seeing was one of fear, or rather of sadness. But either way, it was totally valid. Shit was really not going well for her today. 

I cracked open my bedroom door, and held it open for her to make her way in. Her face remained cold, but she slowly took a step forward, entering the room. Admittedly, my room definitely was not her vibe. There were posters of my favorite artists plastered all over the walls, and my walls were painted a light shade of purple. My bed was covered in stuffed animals and pillows, definitely not Jade's thing. I noticed her looking around, taking in the sight.

"So, this is my room." I announced, breaking the awkward silence that was now becoming apparent. I looked over at Jade, who was still taking in the sight of the posters on my wall. I noticed her eyes fixated on one singular poster. Deftones. Okay, now that was probably the one singular thing in this room that she'd actually like. That type of music wasn't usually my thing, but I'd gotten into their stuff because of my Dad.

"Damn, you listen to Deftones? Like for real?" Jade responded hoarsely, probably because of how much she was crying earlier, but she now sounded more curious than anything. She turned to face me, and I caught a glimpse of her wide smile and raised eyebrows. Definitely wasn't how I'd planned on cheering her up, but it seemed to have worked for now, so hey. Credit where credit's due.

"Uhh, yeah! Sometimes, I mean, my Dad likes them way more. He got that poster for me ages ago." I replied, now chuckling slightly, trying to keep the newly created positive mood alive. I noticed her smile drop slightly at the mention of the word 'Dad', which was a little weird, but I brushed it off pretty quickly after she started speaking again.

"Damn, Vega, maybe you're not what I thought you were." She laughed, now looking straight at me. Her eyes were shimmering, and fuck she looked pretty right then and there. I jokingly opened my mouth wide, and threw my hand to my chest in an attempt to look fake offended by her comment.

"Wow! What did you think I was then, West?" I giggled back, watching as Jade walked over to my bed to sit down. She smirked at me and crossed her legs. 

"I don't know, I just didn't really think you'd have an actually somewhat okay taste!" She retorted, jokingly. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't nice to just be messing around with her like this. If only it was because she'd wanted to come over and see me, not because she got broken up with and desperately needed help, and didn't feel she had any other choice. But I guess it wasn't all bad; it did feel like just maybe we'd finally be able to start being friends, and if not, I was okay with holding onto the moments like these ones where it felt like the real thing.

"Well, you thought wrong! Now come on, it's late and you've definitely not had an easy day. Let's just get ready and go to bed." I finally responded, ending the conversation. I noticed her demeanor shift a little as I brought her back into a reality she didn't want to be in. I felt guilty, and also a little sad myself that our small moment of shared happiness was over, but it was true. She was going through it, and we had school the next day. Sleep would at least help her to feel a little better.

I walked over to my closet, and swung the door open, looking for pyjamas for both of us to sleep in. I carelessly flung clothes out onto the floor, cursing under my breath as I did so.