1. A Special Arrival

I was laying down on my bed, staring at the dark brown, dull ceiling above me. Impatiently, I was practicing movements with the wand I had been given, waiting for Eleazar Fig to arrive. Professor Fig had been my tutor all summer long. When he came to visit me in the orphanage at the end of June and told me that I was allowed to attend Hogwarts starting from the seventh year, I simply couldn't believe my ears.

My entire life I had thought I was a useless squib. Coming from two pureblood parents, it was the most devastating thing I had ever experienced in my life. Luckily for me, both of my sisters also didn't manifest any magical powers, which made the pain of being a disappointment a bit more bearable. My powers started manifesting in April. It all started when I got into a fight with this girl at school. She was pestering me about not having any family to attend the big family feast with at the end of the school year and at one point I just snapped, breaking all the windows at school at once. I do admit, it was a bit of a shocking experience. You see, mostly when wizards and witches start manifesting powers, small, unusual things happen, but breaking ALL the windows of an entire school building, that was truly beyond my expectations. I couldn't help but feel like that was a sign that I would come to be a very powerful witch in the future.

I stood up from my bed and picked up the family portrait that was on my bedside table, looking at it one more time before putting it in my big, leather travel bag. Before I had any time to become sad about missing my family, I heard a knock on my door. Quickly, I opened the door and was met with the exact person I was hoping to see. "Professor Fig, you made it!" I exclaimed excitedly. He smiled at my enthusiasm, "Yes, and we are actually in quite a rush. Come on, put all your belongings in the carriage, we have another stop to make on our way to your new home."

'Your new home'. I actually liked the ring of that. I would finally not be surrounded by all these people who I was not allowed to share my ability with anymore. I couldn't wait to see Hogwarts. My parents had told me so much about it, from the Great Hall with enchanted ceiling and magnificent food, to the Slytherin common room that had a shiny, metal snake in front of the entrance, to all of their classes like potions and flying. I always thought I would never get to see any of it and that I would just have to fantasize based on the stories they told me, but today was finally the day. I was going to see Hogwarts.

While the thought of that truly made me happy, I also got a bit sad at the same time. I wish my sisters would've been here to see it. Me and Fig walked outside with my luggage and put everything in the carriage. "Are you ready?" He asked me. I took one last look at the orphanage that I had lived in for the past two years and then looked back at Professor Fig. "I'm ready", I gave him a confident look. "Very well then", he opened the carriage door for me and right before we were about to leave a man apparated in front of us.

"Ah, George, I'm glad my rather cryptic description of our location did not thwart your finding us", Fig said with a smile and shook the man's hand. "Don't worry my friend, I've apparated to far more vaguely defined destinations than this", the man, whose name seemed to be George Osric, chuckled in return. "Now, I think it's best if we leave quickly, if your companion here doesn't mind me tagging along", he said, looking in my direction. Professor Fig shook his head: "No, I don't think our new student would mind." "Very well, let's go then", George answered and we left for our very special and eventful journey.

What could have been a normal journey to Hogwarts, turned out to be so much more than that. From our carriage getting attacked by an enchanted dragon, to mister Osric dying, to finding out I can see traces of ancient magic, to visiting Gringotts Bank for the first time and meeting Ranrok (who happened to be an evil goblin), it was certainly not what I had expected...

Only moments ago, me and professor Fig were still in the same room as the goblin Ranrok. It was a very special room, decorated beautifully with a lot of blue and silver details and built using ancient magic. There was a pensive in it, accompanied with a locket and what seemed to be a very important memory about two wizards talking about keeping the ancient magic a secret. The same kind of magic that I had just learned I could see traces of. Whatever was waiting for me now, I certainly knew that I was going to have to prepare for an eventful year.