2. Crossed Wands

That night, I didn't sleep a wink. I was so excited for my classes, that I wasn't tired at all. Before I went to sleep, I also met my roommate, which happened to be Imelda, whom I had met that same evening. Her cocky side still irritated me quite a bit, but she was actually very kind and I was able to settle in just fine.

"7 o' clock" I mumbled, seeing the arrows of the small clock on my bedside table pointing towards the 12 and 7. I stood up from my bed and carefully looked around the shared bedroom, checking every detail to make sure that all of it was not a dream. "Life is great", I whispered before getting out of bed and making myself ready for breakfast.

Just like dinner, the breakfast table was packed with delicious food. You had the "normal" muggle meals, like eggs, bacon, mushrooms, toast and so on. But they also had a lot of wizarding sweets, like pumpkin pasties, treacle tarts and more. It was almost impossible to leave the Great Hall with an empty stomach if you sat at the table for longer than 5 minutes.

Suddenly loads of students stood up and started leaving the Great Hall, meaning that the start of classes had finally begun. I leapt off my feet and saw that Sebastian was still sitting at the end of the table. Considering I didn't really know my way around the castle yet, I decided to ask him to guide me around.

"Goodmorning Sebastian", I greeted him with a smile. In return, I too got a very bright smile from him. "Goodmorning, you look happy."

"Well, yes, it's my first day of real magic classes." "Ah, I see. You'll notice soon enough that not all classes are as fun as the others. Though I suppose for someone who's never been familiar with magic, your first classes will definitely feel like, well... magic."

I chuckled at his small joke. "I suppose you're right. I just can't wait to get started." "What class do you have first?" "I start with 'Defence Against The Dark Arts', wherever that may be." He stood up and clasped his hands together, still smiling: "Well, I so happen to have the same class. Mind walking together?" I shook my head. "I was actually going to ask you for directions, but a personal guide is far more up to my standards." "Then I shall endeavor to be the very best of guides", he gave a small bow and together we walked to the Defence Against The Dark Arts Tower.

Defence Against The Dark Arts was taught by an old woman, called professor Hecat. She seemed very wise and definitely knew what she was teaching. The spell we got to learn in her first class was 'Levioso', a levitation charm. She let us practice on feathers, on books, on training dummies and more.

"Very good, everyone. But as some of you might know already, the best way to practice is by duelling. We'll start with you two", she spoke up, pointing at me and Sebastian. I gave him a bit of a frightened look as I had never duelled before, but he didn't seem to notice. Instead, he smirked at me. "Time for a proper Hogwarts welcome", he chuckled.

"Now, I want a fair duel only using 'Levioso', basic cast and 'Protego'", Hecat said and the floor beneath me and Sebastian turned into a blue duelling podium. "This should be easy", Sebastian spoke up, still looking at me with a smirk. I clutched my wand in my hand as tight as I could. As Sebastian made himself ready to cast a spell on me, I immediately casted Levioso on him out of instinct, levitating him off the ground. He seemed a bit startled because of it, which was the perfect chance for me to cast more spells on him, making him fall backwards. When he finally got up on his feet, I casted protego right on time to avoid his revenge Levioso. Every single spell he cast on me, I successfully blocked, getting him frustrated. As he was finally growing tired of the useless casts and all the Stupefy's he endured, he lost his concentration, making me successfully levitate him again and blow him off the podium. I had officially won the duel. The students around me cheered for my victory. "Very good, points to Slytherin", Professor Hecat said and the podium disappeared again.