Chapter 17: Yes We're Done.

"So that's it?"

"Yes ma'am."

"The truth?"

"And nothing but the truth."

The lady tapped her pen fast on her desk and then sat all the way back in her brown leather chair.

"Why should I believe you?"

Tyler tried to scream but groaned and held his wounded side.

"Look, there's no reason for us to lie."

"She's drunk!"

"Shaddup," Brooke fell to the floor. Tyler pulled her up and held her on his lap as he winced in the little sharp pains he was feeling. I looked up into her eyes and she stared me down. I felt small, guilty, evil, and tired.

Being questioned wasn't like it was in the movies. And it was really time consuming. But I felt like after everything I just told her, she would probably believe me. Maybe, possibly, this old lady had a heart.

"Please Miss, don't expel us. I know that we did something that wasn't exactly okay, or even like legal in some cases but you understand where we are coming from?"

"I do know where you're coming from sweetheart. And though a bit of it is illegal, I'm gonna go ahead and just go through with one account."

Tyler scooted up in his seat, "What would that be?"

"You being stabbed in the side."

A sigh of relief came over all of us. Maybe not Brooke but me and Ty were. She patted us on the back and suspended us for 3 days outside of school. A small price to pay for what happened.

We went home, getting ready to start our suspension. My aunt gave me a tight as I dropped into her embrace. She charged me like a battery and I heard pitter patters of small feet.

"JADE JADE JADE!"

"Hey baby girl!" I swooped my little sister into my arms as she squealed. I pulled her up onto my shoulders and ran her into the sofa in the living room. I tickled her until her face turned red and her laughter was wheezing. I let her sit up and she crawled into my lap.

"You got money!" She picked up the loose dollar bills and waved them around. I turned to my aunt and her mouth was wide open.

"Sweetie, where did you get that?" I stood up and patted her shoulder.

"I participated in a contest with Tyler and Brooke and we ended up winning $600. So divided by the three of us we get $200."

My aunt gasped and began to cry. Money was tight around here and anything would help. Especially $200. With that we could get more cleaning supplies, groceries, and some new clothes for a little 7 year old who's outgrowing everything. That night my aunt used about $20 bucks from her savings jar and took us out to McDonald's. We ate fast and a lot. Like little piggies if you asked me. Once our stomachs were full to maximum capacity, we drove home the long way and I crawled into my warm bed.

I was just about to fall asleep when I heard my cell start to ring.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

"Brooke? It's like 11 why are you calling me."

"I love you."

"Okay, bye-"

"Jade."

"What?"

"Say it back."

"Brooke, please I don't like to-"

"Just say it."

"I love you."

"Do you mean it?"

"Of course I do."

"I love you."

"There's too much love here."

"No there isn't. There's not enough."

"Brooklyn Oklahoma Brennan. Go to bed."

"Ewwwwww don't say my name!"

"Brooke I swear-"

"Okay okay! Bye Jade Jacobs."

"Ugh I can hear you smirking through the receiver."

"Goodnight."

"Night."

I threw my phone on the floor, wrapped myself in the sheets, and slept.

How long?

I don't know.

And I don't care.

#####

ONE MORE GET READY