Chapter 7: The Eve

"Bye guys, meet you in the morning," I waved bye to my friends, and walked home to Auntie J. She opens the door and greets me with her aging smile and minty perfume. She leads me to our coffee table where Jaden is sat with a bowl of nuggets and a small plate is set for me with a cup of orange juice.

"I hope you like them, I even bought some barbeque sauce for them."

"Auntie J you didn't have to do that, it's not even grocery week."

"Oh that's ok, I know how much you love them with it," she patted my back gently and scurried to the kitchen to heat up her plate. I sat next to Jaden and began to munch on the golden chicken nuggets stained with the sour sauce. As i chewed I rummaged through the couch cussions for the remote control. I found it and immediatly turned the tv to my favorite movie, The Way Way Back.

"Jade, we always watch this movie," Jaden complains in her childish yet cute voice.

"Yes, I know. But this is a very happy movie."

"How?"

"Well, at the end, he realizes that he is loved by his mom and that things are going to be ok after all."

"Awww. You're right. This is a happy movie." She set her plate down on the coffee table, sits on my lap, and leans her head on my chest.

"Jade?"

"Yeah squirt?"

"Do you think our mommy loves us?"

I turn my head to see Aunt J. She covers her mouth and I can barely catch a glance of her tears before she turns around to catch herself on the kitchen counter.

"Um, well, yes, I'm very sure she loves you a whole lot."

She smiled and jumped off my lap, skipping to her room.

I leaned back and ran my hand through my hair. I felt my arms and hands tense as they did when my mom was mentioned. My face felt hot and I began to quiver.

I stood to my feet and began to head to the door as I grabbed my skates.

"Jade she loves you too."

I stopped. And stayed perfectly still and quiet as my aunt tried urging me to turn around.

I felt a hot tear stream down my face as my grip tightened on the skates' laces.

"I'm sorry. But we both know she's never cared. And she never will." I opened the door and just as I was about to shut the door I heard the pitter patter of small feet.

"Jade where are you going," Jaden squealed.

"Stay."

I ran.

I didn't even bring the skates, I dropped them behind our bushes.

I ran.

I couldn't see where I was going because my eyes were fogged with my tears.

But I knew where I had to go.

Out of breath I dropped to my knees and crawled up to Brooke's door. I dragged my hand across the bottom trying to knock. She opened the door. Stunned to see me, she tried picking me up and brought me inside.

She laid me down on her couch and asked if I wanted a drink. I denied and gently grabbed her small wrist.

"I'm thinking of her again. I can't, my arms, it hurts," is all I could say aloud. Everything else in my head was jumbled up and blurry.

Brooke stroked my hair and nodded her head, trying to make me calm down. As my breathing slowed and my clench on her wrist released, she used her other hand to wipe away the leftover tears.

"There we go," she whispered softly, "better?"

I stared at her as I held her face. I quickly pulled her in for hug and I felt her put her head in the crook of my neck.

It stayed that way for about 5 seconds.

Until I pulled away abruptly.

I stuttered because I didn't know if i should apologize or not.

But all that came out was, "Is your sister in law here?"

She shook her head and coughed out, "Work." She stared at the ground. But I couldn't see the expression on her face because her curtain of black hair shielded her face.

"Brooke?"

"I'm sorry. It's just been a while since you've hugged me," she pushed herself up and went to her fridge, skimming it's contents for something.

"It's just, I got reminded. I didn't mean to."

I heard her laugh coldly, "Did I say it was a bad thing?" I sat up on the couch and rubbed my knees feeling nervous. She came back and stood in front of me with a coke in her hand.

I quickly got to my feet.

"Don't say another word Jade, I'm sure you don't want to get lost again, right," she mocked as she opened the can at her desk. I couldn't see any of her emotions since she kept her back to me. Yet I felt the rooms stiff atmosphere.

"I'm gonna go," I said hesitantly.

Taking a sip of coke, she muttered, "See you in the morning."

I left her house and exhaled once I got outside.

I jogged back home and came in through the back door so no one would notice.

I saw my Aunt sleeping on her chair and could hear my sister playing in her room.

I decided to leave a note beside my aunt.

Sorry I left like that. I was just about to explode and I didn't want to in front of Jaden or you. I hope you understand. Thanks for always being there. Love you.

#####

Short chapter but a little intensity dontcha think? Leave some comments if u liked it

Earth loves you,

Rockerpeep