Chapter 5: Text Messages Suck

"So were your parents upset?"

"Pft, of course not. They told me that they'd rather have me stand up for someone rather than beat up someone for no good reason."

Tyler was finally home. Where he belonged.

Today's Saturday and he just got picked up from the hospital by his parents.

I went with them because I had all my work done. Unlike Brooke who had 3 days worth of first week forms and review work.

We were riding back to pick up Brooke when his mom asked me a question.

"So how have you been, Jade?"

"Oh um, fine."

"Is school fun?"

"Sure, I guess," I laughed a little. She giggled at my reply and turned to face the front again. She was always giggly and in a good mood.

However, his dad was a totally different story.

"How are your parents?"

There was maybe a 10 second pause and things got a bit awkward. I zoned out and felt my face get hot. Tyler put his hand on my back, letting me know I didn't have to say if I didn't want to.

"Honey, please," Tyler's mom pleaded.

"Are they still-"

"Yes sir. They are." His mom put her hand to her forehead and sighed. His dad nodded. Tyler put his elbows on his knees and stared at the ground.

Another pause. Except this one lasted 10 minutes till we arrived at Brooke's house.

"Hey shawty, how ya doin," Tyler said slyly with a smirk on his face and shades halfway down. I grinned at his humor and Brooke smirked back.

"Oh shut up Casanova and scoot over."

The 3 of us caught up on how we were and what hospitals are like. I'd say about half the time we were just plain out laughing. At one point, I thought I was gonna pass out from not being able to breathe.

After our probably obnoxious conversation, Tyler's parents took us to eat at a REALLY fancy restaurant. I could tell one meal cost more than $20 when I saw people leaving checks and fighting over who's gonna pay the bill.

But let's just say, Ty's got money.

We ate an amazing Italian dish, spaghetti, and topped it off with a small ice cream. Every single person at the table was full to the max, signaling it was time to go home.

The ride home was completely different from the ride there. Brooke was half asleep, and Tyler was well, totally asleep. Even his mother was dozing off. Me and Tyler's dad were the only ones who were still wide awake.

"Thank you for taking us out Mr. Minston."

"Well of course Jade. My pleasure. You've been a very close family friend of ours since day one."

I looked down, remembering all the times they've actually been there for me.

"Thank you." He looked at me through the mirror attached to the ceiling, and said, "You're welcome."

#####

"Feels good to roam the halls of my high school," Brooke announced, quite loudly. Tyler ran up to her and held up his arms, as if showing off a masterpiece.

I nodded and kept my pace. But I sorta felt the same way. It did feel a lot better having them here.

And not only that, but the school itself just felt better. It seemed no one was fighting, no one was name calling, or any of that.