☠︎Nine☠︎

*The Same Night*

The sound of loud screams woke me up. It was pitch black as I looked around the room.

"Help me! Help me!" I heard someone screaming from outside of my room. As I became more alert, it began to smell like something was burning. I nearly jumped out of my skin at the loud banging on my room door.

I got out of bed and back further away from the door, not sure who it was.

"Saanvi! Saanvi!" Vincenza shouted from the other side of the door. I had locked the door before I went to sleep, to keep unwanted people out. And Vincenza was one of those people.

She continued banging on the door and calling my name.

I turned around and looked out the window. I could see flames surrounding the house and creeping up along the house.

A sudden loud sound made me quickly turn towards the door. Vincenza had broke into my room. "Did you not hear me calling you? Let's go." Vincenza walked in and grabbed my arm.

"Get off of me!" I immediately pulled away from her. I started walking towards the door but was pulled back. "What the fuck is your problem?" Vincenza asked with a grip on my arm.

"Let me be. I'd rather burn with this house than continue living like this." I spoke.

Vincenza rolled her eyes then picked me up. I struggled trying to get out of her hold while she carried me out of the room.

"Leave me alone! Put me down!" I smacked and banged her back. "Saanvi! Enough!" Vincenza aggressively put me down. "What the fuck is your problem?" she questioned in an annoyed, aggressive whisper.

"Why the fuck do you care? Leave me alone and let me be." I pushed her back, away from me with both of my hands.

Vincenza quickly grabbed my hands and pulled me towards her.

"Saanvi, I don't have the patience for your bullshit right now. Stop it!" Vincenza firmly expressed. I rolled my eyes as she continued to pull me by my wrist.

Almost the entire downstairs was up in flames. No matter how much I wanted to be in shock, I just couldn't.

"Shit...come on." Vincenza said, pulling me back down the hallway. She dragged me into her room and shut the door. I watched as she sealed the small opening at the bottom of the door.

"What are you doing?" I asked, more than confused. Vincenza stopped and looked at me for a short second, then continued.

"Do you know how to swim?" she suddenly asked.

"I- what?" I was taken aback by her question. "Swim Saanvi. Do you know how to swim?" she asked again with an obvious thinning of patience.

"I don't know. Kind of...why?" I questioned, definitely worried. Vincenza took my wrist in her hand and pulled me over to her curtains. She pulled them apart, revealing a slide in doors.

Behind those doors were a balcony...a balcony that was directly over the pool. I tried to back away immediately.

"We're jumping." Vincenza yanked me back.

"No." I whined.

Vincenza continued to bring me towards the balcony. "No, no, no, I- I can't. I'm afraid of heights. Please, I can't do it." I panicked, my hands beginning to slightly shake.

"Do you want to die?" Vincenza yolked me up. "I mean..." I shrugged.

"No, come on." Vincenza dragged me to the very edge, against the railing. "No!" I suddenly screamed. "Saanvi." Vincenza held me in place.