GILDED LILY

  ━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

DAVINA TODD wanted to be the best. Born and raised in Erudite, the pressure to succeed pressed on her since the moment she started classes, thrust into the world believing a high number meant she was enough. She had spent her whole life in the blue-clad Faction, being taught that knowledge was power and that if she simply did another test, took on another skill, another class, she would be the best. The best was simply whatever would take her mother's attention from her twin sister, but no matter what she did, her fraternal reflection would always do something better. Davina had been in her shadow her entire life, regardless of her own success, regardless of her own scores, her creative streak, her one unique hobby of martial arts, if she wasn't better than her sister than it wasn't enough.

The only thing she did better than her sister was stand out. An Erudite who smoked to cope with her problems (stupid), an Erudite who preferred to draw and paint above any hobby (useless), her black belt she had earned alongside her best friend (not enough). Davina Todd was Erudite, but not enough for anyone, including herself. But then comes the one test no one could be the best at: the Choosing. Davina had always been Erudite, but Erudite was tests and scores, a hierarchy based on everything she felt she couldn't do, and a threat to live with her twin for the rest of her life.

Results split in two different directions, Davina counts it as a sign and for the first time in eighteen years, takes a different path to her dreaded reflection in a last ditch effort to escape the shadow and become the best in her own right. As it would turn out, Dauntless nurtured her competitive spirit, giving her the chance to fight for her own success, use skills that had once been frowned upon to her best advantage, but it seemed the further she got from home, the darker the shadow grew.

Surrounded by initiates willing to do anything to survive, a pretty asshole who can't seem to leave Davina alone and a growing conspiracy threatening all the factions, Davina soon finds herself questioning everyone around her, including her own identity, as her old faction works to use her new one as a weapon.