The Letter

10 Oct'24 , Goa

It was a bright morning, and the clock struck 8 am. Priya hurriedly went about her morning routine. She had to get ready for school and drop off Pihu at her play school before heading to her own job.

As Priya was getting dressed, she noticed that Pihu seemed a bit off. The little girl was rubbing her eyes and frowning. She was clearly not feeling her best. Priya knelt down and brushed a strand of hair away from Pihu's face, concern etched on her own.

"Pihu, mera bachha, kya hua?" Priya asked, her voice gentle but tinged with worry.
"School nahi jaana mumma", she said tubbing her eyes.
"Kyun nahi jaana school aaj?"Priya asked.
"Mumma, nahi jaana mujhe school. No school please." Pihu pouted and replied in her innocent voice.

Priya sighed, thinking it was just another instance of Pihu's usual reluctance to go to school. But deep down, she couldn't shake off the uneasiness in her heart. She crouched down to Pihu's level and held her little hands.

"Baby, Mumma ko pata hain ki aapko mumma ke bina waha achha nahi lagta hain, Mumma ko bhi aapke bina achha nahi lagta. Aapke freinds hai na waha pe, unke saath khelna, tumhe achha lagega aur mumma ko bhi miss nahi karogi" Priya explained, trying to convince Pihu.

Reluctantly, Pihu nodded and allowed Priya to help her get dressed. Priya packed a sandwich and a small water bottle for Pihu's snack time at school, ensuring that she had something healthy to eat during the day.
They sat and started having breakfast together.
Priya: Pihu, bad manners! dheere dheera khao warna khaana aapke gale mein atak jayega.
Pihu: (nodding cutely)Okay mamma!
Priya: (pulling her soft cheek)Mera bachha.
Pihu: Mamma mujhe cocolate chayiye.
Priya: Aapne kal hi toh itna saara chocholate khaya tha, abb aur khaogi toh  bimaar pad jaogi.
Pihu: par uske pelhe mei happy happy hoongi na.
Priya: badmaash! achha thik hai baba aaj school se aate wakt chocolates le aungi tumhare liye okay?
Pihu: (clapping hands) Yayy! mamma is the best.
Priya: Okay, chalo abb jaldi se apna breakfast khatam karo.

After finishing the breakfast, Priya checked everything before leaving the home.
As they prepared to leave the house, Pihu ran and picked up her papa's photo frame and kissed it making Priya smile.
Priya glanced at her reflection in the small mirror as they moved near the door. Her tired eyes betrayed the immense responsibility she carried on her shoulders as a single mother. She worried about Pihu's well-being, their financial struggles, and the constant fear of losing her daughter.

"Stay strong, Priya," she whispered to herself, steeling her resolve. "Tu already itna kuch seh chuki hai, Yeh sab kuch nahi hai. Pihu ke liye hi toh kar rahi hai."

With Pihu holding Priya's hand, they stepped out into the morning sunshine. Priya locked the door behind them and headed towards the gate, and ready to face another day filled with challenges and uncertainty.
As they walked down the street, Pihu's small hand warmed in Priya's grip. Priya couldn't help but feel a mix of gratitude and determination. She would do everything in her power to provide a better life for Pihu, even if it meant sacrificing her own happiness.

                 .....................................................................

Ishaan was back to India, to celebrate Dussehra which was on 15th oct, with the Soods.
It was around 12:30pm in the afternoon, He sat at the dining table with his nani Meera, his maasi Maitri and her 2 month old son Dhruv, enjoying a quiet Breakfast. The room was filled with warmth and the aroma of home-cooked food. Sandy and Sara were at Office and Cafe respectively.

After finishing the lunch, he played with his cousin Dhruv.
As he played with Dhruv, a sense of guilt lingered in the depths of his heart. The weight of the incident from four years ago still burdened him, and he couldn't shake off the remorse that consumed him.
Ishaan, though physically present, was lost in his thoughts. The weight of guilt from the past incident still burdened his conscience. He watched Maitri's baby, Dhruv, cooing and giggling, his innocent laughter echoing in the room.