The First Hug

The relentless rain outside drummed a steady beat on the windows. Priya jumped at the sudden knocking on the hall's door. With a puzzled look, she hurried to open it, and her eyes widened in shock at the sight of Krish. He wass drenched to the bone.

"Krish! Tum yaha kya kar rahe ho? Kab aaye?" Priya gasped, her concern was evident.

Krish stepped inside quickly, shivering from the cold rain. "I'm so sorry tumhe subah subah disturb karne ke liye" He said.

Priya handed him a towel and gestured for him to dry off. "Maafi maangne ki koi zarurat nahi, Krish. Tumhe pehle hee aajana chaiye tha."

Just then, Ram entered the hall and his eyes widened in surprise at the sight of Krish. "Krish, tum..abb yaha? Pehle kyun nahi aaye? I'm sorry...."

Krish managed a smile despite his drenched state. "Koi baat nahi, Ram. Mujhe laga tum dono ko akela wakt chaaiye sab kuch suljhaane ke liye toh isiliye..."

Priya who was preparing coffee in the kitchen, overheard their conversation, "Mr. Kapoor ne toh mujhe bataya hee nahi ki tum bhi aaye ho."

Krish chuckled softly.Feeling the warmth of the room seeping into his chilled bones, he spoke "Well, to be honest, baarish ke kaaran main poori raat so nahi sakha. Baarish bahut tez tha, aur aisa lag raha tha jaise car ka chhat mere sar par gir jayega."

Ram couldn't help but smile dryly. "Imagine kar saktha hoon...Bohot hi junglee raat thi!"

Priya returned from the kitchen with a steaming cup of coffee, and looked at Krish curiously. "Par tum andar kyun nahi aaye Krish? Hume koi problem nahi hota."

Krish sipped his coffee and savored the warmth. "Maine socha ki tum donon ko personal space dena sabse achha hoga. Aakhirkaar, tum dono ek dusre ko arse baad dekh rahe ho."

Priya softened. She was touched by his thoughtfulness.
Ram nodded in agreement. His gaze were Priya. "Thank you, Krish."

Pihu stirred from her sleep due to the muffled sounds of conversation that reached her ears. Curiosity filled her sleepy eyes and she tiptoed into the hall, rubbing her eyes to make sense of the unexpected scene. Her gaze landed on Ram. A figure she had only seen in pictures. The scene that greeted her was both magical and bewildering.

"Pa...pa..?" she whispered in astonishment.

Ram, catching sight of Pihu, became a statue frozen in time. 

"Pihu? m... bachhe...." his voice broke.

His eyes registered shock, a tinge of happiness, excitement and fear. He had waited for this moment, yet the uncertainty of how Pihu would react made his heart race. Pihu, in turn, looked at him with a blend of surprise and joy, realizing the man in front of her was the father she had known only through photographs.

"Mummaa...!" she shouted with a sudden burst of confusion, excitement and hesitation,

"Pihu! baby... rukk jao," Krish, attempted to reassure Pihu. He called her to come closer, but she ignored him and rushed towards Priya, who was her safe haven.  she wrapped her tiny hands around Priya's hips and buried her face in her mother's side. Her tiny hands clutched onto Priya tightly.

Ram, sensing the moment, got up from the sofa, took tentative steps toward them, still processing the reality of being a father.

Priya turned around to see a somewhat confused Pihu and kneeled down to her level.
"Pihu beta," Priya said, gently stroking Pihu's hair, "Aap har din puchte the na ki mere papa kaha hai, mere papa kaha hai?"