Silly Millie

My heart was pounding as if it could jump out of my chest and run away at any moment. My palms sweating, I hastily scurry my way to the seat across from her. I plop down and wait patiently for her to look up from the book she's nose deep in. I twiddle my thumbs, growing more nervous as I stare at her smooth lips and piercing dark eyes. They were so dark, not in the way of a deep brown or a muddy shade. They were dark in a way that made them look as if they were a deep pit, desolate and unknown. As if there was something beyond the darkness you couldn't yet make out. My thoughts end abruptly as those same dark eyes look up at me, staring deeply into my entire being. "Hey, is this seat taken?" I blurt in an attempt to sound nonchalant. "Obviously, can't you tell?" She rolls her eyes at me and flashes a grin that can barely be seen behind the dingy pages. I try my best to think of new conversation as the silence grows unbearable. "Um, you're super beautiful! I love your earrings." For a moment she seemed shocked, she blinked a few times before looking back up at me. "Thank you, they're Victorian mourning jewelry.." she fiddled with the page of the book she was holding before I replied, "I know. I see those all the time online!" Her smile became less subtle and we exchanged banter back and forth about our interests. We talked about books, films, and she even briefly brought up poetry. "You should really show me some of your poetry sometime!" I said, hoping that would be an excuse to interact with her again. "I've never really shared it with anyone before.. not since." She grows quiet and glances across the cafeteria to a boy with red, messy hair. He had piercings all over and his braces were just as shiny as everything else. Before I could ask anyway questions about who that was or what had happened, the bell rang and it was time for everyone to go to their classes. "Wait!" I shouted before she could get away. She spun around wide eyed and startled, "Huh?" "What's your name?" She seemed to almost be disappointed before replying "Millie." "I'm Y/N." After we went our separate ways I couldn't stop thinking about her. I couldn't stop thinking about her black lips and even darker eyes, I couldn't get her slow paced and sunken voice out of my head, or even the clicking sound of her tapping her black nails against her hard cover book.

After I went home that night. I rolled around my bed twirling my hair thinking about all the possibilities for tomorrow. I only made one new soon-to-be friend, but that was all I needed. I doubt I'm even a thought to her right now. She must be writing beautiful poetry about her interesting life, or is off sucked into a long book. I pulled out my sketchbook covered in poorly painted stars and gas station stickers. I flipped through the pages, searching for the first empty space. I eagerly began tracing every inch of her face with my mind, aligning the motions of my pencil to my mental image. Capturing her mysterious figure and her mesmerizing features. Her long, black hair that falls over her pale face and her dim eyelids front and center on my mind plastered directly onto the page. I smile wide as I stare at my work. I hope maybe we can swap clothes, dress each other up in our similar yet different fashion. Possibly even trade playlists. After a long night of romanticizing the possible outcome of the school year, I toss my art supplies under my bed and roll over to rest up for the morning.