four.

(Emily, I'm Sorry)
ACT ONE—CHAPTER FOUR

1996

"It's just a party," Jackie declared, as Shauna dug through her clothes.

Emily hovered behind Jackie, looking into the mirror, smearing a black eyeliner pencil on her water lines.

"Shauna's right— it feels weird," Emily agreed with Shauna's previous statements.

Ash applied a light layer of gloss over her lips, "Come on you guys, it's not like not going to the party is going to—"

"Unfuck Allie's leg?" Jackie suggested, and Ash nodded, "Yeah."

"Plus!" Jackie fixed her hair, "It's tradition."

"How's my makeup?" Emily leaned away from the mirror facing the other girls.

"Looks good, Emy." Ash stuck up her thumb, and then a very short-lived silence filled the air, "Remember that time you tried to rebel against Dad and drank all that cheap beer?"

"Oh my god." Emily groaned hiding her face in her hands.

"And then threw up like all night," Jackie added.

Emily really didn't like to talk about that night, the other girls didn't understand the weight of that night to her.

"Ha. Ha. So funny." Emily mumbled, her lips pursed in annoyance.

Shauna stepped out, showing off her outfit, "How about this?"

Jackie shook her head, determining that the burgundy button-down was not the move.

"Hey, I thought it looked nice!" Emily defended her friend's outfit, and Jackie seemed to scan over the blonde's own outfit.

Judgment slipped into her tone as she replied, "Well, your outfit isn't much better. Where are we going? Church?"

Emily frowned, looking down at her appearance, she didn't think it was that bad.

"Here," Jackie tossed a skirt to Emily, "Try that."

Emily sighed examining the leather skirt, it appeared like it was going to be tighter than she liked. It wasn't that the skirt wasn't cute— it just created a new fear of wearing that around a partying crowd.

"You know," Jackie walked over to Shauna's bed, sitting down, "Randy's gonna be at the party tonight."

"Um," Shauna's eyebrows pulled together, while finished buttoning up the next shirt, "Okay?"

"Better?" Emily showed off the black skirt, tugging at its hem a little; it just felt really short.

"Yes! You look so hot." Jackie exclaimed,  responding to Emily, "Much better."

"He asked Jeff to ask me if you were gonna be there." Jackie continued the conversation she was previously held with Shauna.

"Randy? Really?" Shauna asked.

Once Jackie's eyes were off of them Ash leaned over to her sister, "You know you don't have to wear that right? I know how you get with stuff like that."