twenty-nine.

(Emily, I'm Sorry)
ACT ONE — CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

1996

"I can't believe we're actually letting her do this," Emily sighed, lifting one end of the freshly chopped tree.

In theory it could have been a good idea.

Maybe.

If the plane wasn't God knows how old and if they had someone who had ever actually flown a plane.

Natalie grabbed on to the other end, "...it's our best shot at getting out of here."

"I know that," Emily sighed, "I really do, but— I don't know it's a lose lose situation."

The teenager couldn't help but think of all the scenarios in which this plan failed. Even if the plane managed to lift off the air, what would happen if it ran out of fuel or if Laura Lee couldn't find anyone for miles and miles?

What if the engines failed, and the plane plummeted just like their first one?

Natalie frowned, "Yeah, it really is."

A brief pause of quiet passed between them, "What about that shit Jackie pulled earlier," Natalie brought up, attempting to get Emily's mind off of the situation at hand.

"Oh my god, I know!" Emily shook her head, "It was kind of fucked up of her to put Shauna on the spot like that."

Emily wondered what was going on with her, everything Jackie was doing and saying felt insincere.

She guessed that the two of them had grown apart since the plane crashed...probably because in this world...the one where soccer and typical high school things didn't exist, the two had nothing in common.

Soon the whole group stood around the plane, looking in Laura Lee's direction.

The teenager began hugging the group members, and her eyes fell on to Emily. She walked forward reaching her.

"Are you absolutely sure about this?" Emily whispered hugging her. The girl nodded, pulling back from the hug after a few moments

"Positive, Em." Laura Lee stated, but before pulling the whole way away from Emily she whispered, "Don't lose your faith, Emily."

Emily was scared, she seemed to be scared all of the time, now. She took a step back from Laura Lee, wishing the girl luck.

Their coach blocked Laura Lee from closing the door, making one last attempt to prevent this from happening.

"For God's sake Laura Lee, please— don't do this."

The blonde girl nodded, "Thanks for worrying about me, Coach, but this is my purpose."

Laura Lee closed the door firmly, and Emily backed up out of the way.

"I feel sick," she murmured, and Natalie gently rubbed her back as the propeller spun to life. The wheels slowly began to move forward, and a few cheers came from the group of teenagers.

"Oh my god! She's doing it!" Jackie cheered, and a smile broke out on Emily's face.

The group chased after the plane, excitement radiating off of them. They might finally get home.

Emily's heart sank as her eyes landed on a shrill of smoke, billowing from the plane.

"Is that smoke?" Jackie questioned.

Not even seconds later the plane exploded, and a couple of screams were heard.

Emily wrapped her arms around Natalie both of their knees sinking into the pebbly beach. Tears poured down Emily's face.

She couldn't stop the tears...not until it seemed there were no tears left.

That evening they were all physically and emotionally exhausted. A saddened silence floating through the room as they ate dinner.

"Jackie you have to eat." Shauna stated.

Which drew Emily's eyes to the two of them.

"Why? What does it matter at this point?" Jackie asked.

"Okay, I can't do this anymore." Mari announced standing up, and grabbing a large jar.

"What is that?" Ben asked.

"It was some berries I was trying to save but I think it might've turned into booze." Mari shrugged, "I don't know about the rest of you but I could use a drink."

"Do we think it's safe?" Taissa asked.

"Do we care?"

"I have a few more."

"If we have booze let's have a party." Jackie stated.

"Yeah because we have so much to celebrate." Taissa mused sarcastically.

"Do we need a reason?" Jackie asked, "We're gonna be dead in a few weeks."

"There's a full moon tomorrow night." Misty informed.

"And it's almost homecoming."

"We packed dresses right?" Lottie added.

"There we go! We have dresses, we have booze, we can decorate. Have a sort of moon homecoming."

"More like a doom homecoming." Taissa noted.

"Doomcoming." Lottie spoke.

Natalie laughed, "Now that's a party idea."

A small smile tugged at Emily's lips, "Doomcoming is way better than homecoming."

"Yeah alright, doomcoming. Tomorrow night. We'll drink rotten berries and celebrate our impending death."

Emily sat on the porch steps, everyone else was already asleep. She just couldn't.

Laura Lee's words kept replaying through her head, over and over. "Keep your faith, Emily."

The blonde was not feeling particularly faith filled after Laura Lee's plane went up in flames.

"Emy?" Natalie gently closed the cabin door behind her.

Emily peaked over her shoulder, "Hi," she noted quietly.

"Are you ok?" She walked over, sitting down next to the Jensen girl.

"No, we're all so totally fucked."

A dry laugh escaped Natalie's lips, "We are, but hey we've got each other."

Emily pressed her lips together looking at the starry sky for a moment or two. It was such a calm night even after the horrific events that occurred.

"Will you go to doomcoming with me?" Emily faced Natalie, a small smile on her lips.

"Like with with you?" Natalie asked.

"Why the hell not. What do we have to loose?" Emily shrugged.

"I love you," Natalie whispered, leaning forward her lips brushing over Emily's.

"I love you too," Emily smiled, closing the remaining space between the two of them.