twenty-one.

(Emily, I'm Sorry)
ACT ONE — CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

2021

Emily's eyes were glued to the red flashing dot on Shauna's phone, as they all waited for Natalie.

"Okay," Shauna broke the silence turning around in her seat to look at Emily, "What the hell is going on between you and Nat? You two seemed off tonight."

Emily pressed her lips together, "I made a mistake."

Now Taissa also turned to look at her, "What kind of mistake?"

"I don't really wanna talk about it," Emily trailed off, but of course the other two women still looked at her expectantly, "I really fucked up, Tai."

"It can't be that bad." Taissa stated looking for Shauna to agree with her, as Emily's leg nervously bounced up and down.

"Yeah, I'm sure it's not that bad." Shauna nodded, but her voice wasn't that convincing.

Emily sighed, "I almostsleptwithher." She rushed out avoiding eye contact with either of the two women in front of her.

"You slept with Natalie?" Taissa's eyes widened.

"Almost." Emily corrected, "But I left! Do you know how much of an asshole move that is?"

Shauna nodded, "You fucked up."

Taissa glared at her, "You're not helping, Shauna!"

Emily hid her face in her hands, "God, I am a horrible person."

"You're not a horrible person, Emily." Taissa shook her head, "If you were a horrible person you probably wouldn't feel bad."

"That's a good point," Shauna nodded.

Emily's eyes flicked back and forth between the two, "You're both really bad at making me feel better about this."

Taissa offered her a small smile, "I'm sure Natalie will get over it. Speaking of where is she? Wasn't she the one telling us not to take forever? How long does it take to drive a block?"

"Maybe she stopped to score drugs." Shauna deadpanned.

"Oh, god." Taissa scoffed, "I hope not. The pay cut I took to run for senate isn't going to fund another rehab."

"Oh, Tai did you really?" Shauna asked, Emily shook her head, "I have no room to talk on this subject matter. Ash is coming to stay with me as of tomorrow."

"What? Emily!" Taissa looked back at her, "We talked about this."

They had talked about it. Emily knew better than to keep letting her sister back into her life over and over. Each time Ash managed to wreck everything in her path.

"I know, I really do I just— she's my sister. She's reckless, and makes incredibly stupid choices and empty promises but— I don't know."

"She's your family." Shauna sighed, "I get it."

Their conversation came to a close as the door opened beside Emily.