Chapter 1: The awakening

The room is dimly lit by a large candle that sits on the dark oaken bureau. A large pile of papers sits on the upper right side, with an ink pot next to it. Behind it sits a small man with dark brown hair and one white eye, dressed in a brown three-piece suit, with a dark green tie. On the bureau sits a small golden name board. I appears that the previous name has been crossed out and a piece of paper has been attached to it that reads "Dr. Einar, Holes" The man is focussed on his work, he writes down names with numbers next to them. "Alex 0289", "Brain 0298" "Melissa 0398". The room is small and to the walls are dark oaken book shelves. The door bursts open and enlightens the room. A Small chubby man stands in the door opening. He wears a flat cap and is dressed in a black waxed jacket and is smoking a cigar. Behind him is a salmon pink hall way with another dark wooden door numbered "02". A red carpet is laid out over the floor of the hallway. The working man shouts while covering his eyes with his hands. "Burrow's is that you!?", "Yes sir Holes we need you there's another case" the chubby man responds. Next to the door is a coat hanger with a large rain coat and pink Deerstalker hat. After Holes his eyes get used to the light he looks up squinting his eyes saying: 'Can't you see I'm writhing down names with four digits after them?!", "Yes Holes I see it, it's Impressive but we have to go this could be our big break through". Holes looks at Burrows, pondering weather or not he should stop with his busy work and go with Burrows, or if he can keep on having all of this fun. "Fine let's do this" Holes said putting down his pen and standing up from his desk. As he and Burrows leave the room Holes almost forgets to put on his 'Detective clothing', and goes back to get it.

Wile walking through the salmon pink hallway Burrows asks Holes: "Why do you always work with the blinds closet in the dark?", "Helps me focus, I have so many books on my book shelves that I sometimes get distracted and can't help my self but read some of them" Holes answer s wile putting on his rain coat. The hall way gives of an eerie feeling, every door is the same, the seemingly unending red carpet, random meaningless abstract art paintings hung on the walls. "You know Burrows, I love living here in the apartments, here it feels as if I have no past, every day I have new neighbours who don't know me and are too busy with their holiday to notice me, I can make up whatever personality I want". Holes is about two inches smaller than Burrows, but Burrows over compensates a lot by smoking cigar's, at least that is what Holes keeps telling him self. The two reach the end of the eerie hallway and open a door that leads to a set of stairs, the stairs are formed in the form of a spiral, made of iron and look to be rusty. the same salmon pink paint job done here as well. But it had looked like the budget of the hotel had ran out because the stairs them selves where still unpainted and a grid texture on them. The stairs go down two levels. A small sign is hung next to the door opening that tells them that their on the second level and there are three more levels. The pair walk down the stairs. "So Holes do you want to know what the case is?" Burrows asks with his hands half in his pocket and thumbs pointing out. Holes quickly responds "Burrows could you please be silent, well actually tell me the case". Burrows sighs in frustration and answers: "Well there is this little girl that lost her-" before Burrows can finish his sentence Holes interrupts him, "Wait! Let me guess she lost something she valued a lot?, maybe because of an emotional tie?". As Holes finishes his sentence they reach the first floor. "Holes! Calm your detective instincts, the girl lost her golden necklace, apparently there is a diamond inside of it too!". As Burrows says that Holes his eyes wonder off into the distance, 'a diamond, that is worth a lot'. Burrows continues: "And I know what your thinking: 'How does someone loose a golden necklace? It is probably stolen!' That could be, but in the past the girl has lost other objects of value that turned out to be just laying somewhere in a drawer, but this time she really can't find it and hires us to go and help her, can you believe that?!" By the time Burrows finishes his sentence they already reached ground level. They open another door and have reached the hotel lobby. The Salmon pink paint job was even seen here, behind the counter sits an old lady with short gray hair. She is dressed in an old dark purple pajama set. The counter is the same dark oak as the doors, tables and holes 's bureau. Outside can be seen through the glass doors, it is bright day in the city, however the few is limited by a factory that is right in front of the hotel. Kids with dirt on their cheeks and dressed in thin cloth clothing walk by taking a glance at the-for them- fancy hotel. The old lady shouts at Holes: "Your rent is due at the end of the week! No more extending the bill!". Holes turns around while he keeps walking and shouts back "Yes mam! Will do!". He then turns back to Burrows who walks with a slight bend in his back looking at the floor with his larger cigar in his mouth. "Can you believe it Burrows? I have lived here for eleven years, and she still does not know my name? Let alone give me some sort of discount on my bill!". Burrows pays him a quick tired look. Holes opens the door for him. The sky is filled with clouds and no sun can be seen. They keep walking through the poor part of the city. Eventually they arrive at the rich part of the city. The difference can be clearly seen. At one point the cobble stone path abruptly ends and transforms into a cleanly cut stone side walk. Old rusty poles with lanterns on them change into nice shaped iron street lights with a dark green paint finish. Even one building who sits right on the middle of this invisible line has the left half of it -which is situated in the poor part of the town- poorly painted, has a window on the second floor broken with a circular hole in it and has a dead vine plant growing out of one of the pipes. Has the right side of it painted a sunflower yellow colour with a flower pot next to the birch wood white door with a giant Blue Princess Holly plant growing out of with with its pretty red fruits. Holes and Burrows have walked this path countless times before. It was often the rich that where dumb enough to hire them to solve one of their cases. Burrows pulled a small piece of paper out of his left pocket, it read: "Winston-Leonard-Spencer street Number 3" written in Burrows his perfect hand writhing style, with perfect I mean written as if he got paid to do it, long fancy letters written as if they where meant for the king of some place. "Its the third house of the street to the left" says Burrows to Holes. A middle aged woman dressed in a white coat presumably made of ice-bear fur with big red lips and green eyes walks past them. She walks a white poodle which pulls hard on its collar trying to attack Holes and Burrows. Foam spills out of the beast his mouth. The woman tries to control it and excuses her self: "Oh excuse me he hates middle class men, William calm down!". The beast barks at them and Holes decides barking back with determination was the solution, however Burrows managed to control Holes his temper by pulling on Holes his collar. The duo moves on and eventually reach their destination.