Chapter 3: The House

The door opens, a tall white male in a brown suit opens the door. He has a large brown mustache, large round glasses, bags under his eyes and eyebrows that always make it look like hes angry. "Who are you" the man says in a soft confused voice. Burrows took a step closer to the man dimming his cigar and putting it in his pocket and says:"My name is Burrows, and this is my partner in detective work Holes"

Holes thinks to him self: ' "My partner in detective work" who even says that?!'. The man thinks to him self for a second, "oh right, I hired you for my daughter, she lost her golden necklace I thought if anybody could find it, it would be-" He thinks to him self for a second as if reconsidering these two where the right guys "-well I guess I thought it would be you guys. "Right-, well lets go Burrows" Holes said awkwardly walking passed the man.

The hall way is decorated in painting with golden frames. The walls are painted a dark green colour. In the hall way there are three doors, one directly to the left of Holes opened to reveal a living room with a large floor clock one on the end of the hall way closed but a small glass window reveals that the kitchen with kitchen staff are in there working and one door directly to the right of Holes opened with the door outwards, it is a closet with two brooms and a piece of paper stuck on the inner side of the door. Holes squinted his eyes around the hall way. His few of the right side is partially blocked by the open closet door. The man explains about the golden necklace and how it is of importance. While Holes keeps on walking he reads the piece of paper on the closet door swiftly: "Somebody stole the floor pelt, call Sarah". Holes glanced at the wooden floor, it had a large spot that was a tint lighter than the surrounding area as if a piece of carpet used to lay there. After he passed the door he sees that the stairs where right there build into the wall, they had a broad piece of carpet covert the middle of the stair steps. Holes looks to the house owner "Mister Black was the name right?" he asks. "Yes, just so you know my daughter is upstairs in her room" Mr black answered. Holes walks up the stairs and sees the same design as down stairs, a green carpet on the floor and dark oak wooden walls and doors. There are four doors, two are opened, one lead to a clean bed room with a maid working there and one lead to the house bath room with a marble floor. One door stands out from the others, in pretty letters stood "Dorothy's room" behind the door is chaos, the sound of chairs being thrown around and closet doors opening. Mr black walks up to the door and knocks twice. "Dorothy! The detectives are here to find your lost necklace!" he shouted in a soft voice. "Okay father, You leave first!" A young girl shouted back. Burrows his left eyebrow raised, 'have you not searched with her?" He asks. Mr black looked at Burrows with a contempt face thinking for a moment what to answer. "She does not like it when I am in her room, not even when the maids are haha!" Mr black finished his sentence with an awkward laugh. Holes and Burrows met gazes both confused. Burrows walked up to the door knocking once,"Dorothy can we enter?" Burrows asked in a polite voice. "Sure if he leaves!" she shouts back annoyed. "Okayy" says Mr black turning around to move down the stairs. "He 's gone" burrows says with his face turned to the door. The door swings open, a small girl grabs Burrows by shirt and pulls him inside and closes the door behind him. "Hey I am one of-" Holes is interrupted when the door opens again and the girl does the same to him. He is surprised by the strength of the small girl, she only came to his shoulder in length. The room is a mess, drawers are thrown out of their respective closets, clothing everywhere, books out of there shelves. Even although she had a large room it felt like claustrophobic because of all the stuff laying everywhere. In the middle of the room is a queen sized bed, on the floor is covert in gray carpet. In front of the bed stands a small girl with shoulder length black hair in her pajamas she looks at the detective with questioning eyes. No wonder she lost something here, especially something the size of a locket. There was a small scratching sound that came from the left side of the room. Holes looks with squinting eyes at the girl and says her. "So it looks like you have looked everywhere", "Well euhhhh I think I did, I looked everywhere even in the books!" Then something caught Holes his attention. When entering the bed was in front of him with a small amount of distance between the bed and the wall to his right, there is more space between the left wall and the bed, there was a large closet directly next to the door. On the left wall was a large window witch stands open with sunlight shining inside and the curtains flutter in the air because of the soft summer breeze that enters the room. But what caught Holes his attention was a sound that came from the left side of the room closet. Holes turned to Burrows for a quick moment, it seemed that he had noticed the noise too. So Holes took a few steps to the closet to investigate and the girl stopped him, "No no no no, no going in my closet" the girl said while stepping in between Holes and the door. Holes thinks of what he should say now, "So you have looked in it for the necklace your self?" Holes asks the girl. "Euhh no but it's definitely not in there", the scratching continued. "Are you sure?" Burrows says looking over Holes his shoulder to the girl. "Euh yes", Holes pushes the girl inside and opens the closet door. Out of the door jumps a small squirrel. "Good havens!!!!" Burrows screams. "What the fuck!, Holy fuck!, Holy fuck!'. The squirrel unleashes a high pitched screech, The girl screams. Mr black is heard on the other side of the door in his soft voice:"Is everything going alright in there?". "Yes" Burrows says with his legs spread ready to run away. Holes is frozen in place looking at the small creature is sprinting trough the room clearly out of its natural habitat. The girl jumps into the closet and locks her self in the closet. Holes notices that the squirrel has the necklace in his paws. Burrows lifts a book of the ground and tries to focus on the creature. He moves his back to charge for a strong toss. He squints his eyes and throws his book as hard as he can. Halfway in the air the book opens up, but the squirrel is scared drops the golden necklace and jumps on the window opening and jumps out. Holes sprints to pick up the necklace. After he picks it up he gives a stern look to Burrows then turns to the closet where the girl is standing in. Burrows looks at him with a confused face. Holes slowly puts the golden necklace in his pocket, Burrows his face turns into a disappointed one. Holes whispers "I'm sorry I really need the money", Burrows puts his hands on his hips and turns his head and mouth to symbolize that Holes is better than this. Holes looks at him confused for a moment, then he looks down and slowly gives Burrows the necklace. The girl her shout is heard from the closet slightly muffled "Is it gone!?". "Yes!" answers Holes. The closet door flings open. "We found your necklace" Burrows reaches out his hand while sinking to the girls level. "Thank you detectives!!!" The girl shouts. Holes and Burrows leave the room and move down the dark oak stairs. The tall man stands at the bottom looking at the men while playing with his mustache. "We found the necklace" Holes says. "Oh well that is wonderful" the man responds. A moment of silence follows. "Well you are of course waiting for your financial compensation" the man says while rubbing his hands together. Burrows and Holes nod. The man moves to the living room and opens a drawer filled with cash. He hands over a few bills.