Chapter 4: Stay

Holes and Burrows walk next to each other on a path as they pass the border between upper and lower class area Burrows turns to Holes. "Holes I have to tell you something" he says with a serious tone barely being able to look Holes in the eyes. He follows it up with: "I have been following a police man course. I am becoming a police man". Holes his eyes turn to Burrows. A bitter sweet smile appears on Holes his face. His hands exit the pockets of his rain coat and he reaches out for a hug. A bitter sweet smile appears on Holes his face. Burrows is taken back. For the past eight years they had been working together, never once had Holes shown this much emotion. Holes always had been a confusing puzzle that Burrows slowly started to figure out. Their relationship had always been quite professional but now Holes really showed how he felt. While Holes his arms are embracing Burrows his eyes start to tear up. "I saw this coming, you will be a great police man. Burrows now also embraces Holes as they led Holes puts one hand on Burrows his shoulder like a proud father looking down on his son. "Well I better get home as we don't have any other jobs left. And I have to go study" Burrows says with determination. Holes looks to Burrows "listen I just want to say before you go for good-" Holes looks at the ground clearly struggling to convey emotion. "- I haven't been as good as friend or business partner or whatever as I was supposed to be, I want to apologize for never being there on time and over all chaotic nature compared to you". Burrows stands still "Apologies accepted, however I would like to do one more murder case with you, no doubt it will come to us, one last adventure to remember you by". Holes looks in Burrows his eyes and a smile appears on his face, "I would like that too" he answered. 

They walk to a local pub and spend the rest of the day and part of the night talking about there life and what comes next. Holes clearly seemed afraid of the idea of having to do the detective work all alone, or even worse, finding a new partner to do it with!

Two days after their last case Burrows finds himself in the postal office with another case to present Holes. This one actually was pretty big. And it even connected to Holes his next career! One of this cities best children book writhers and authors had died in his office unexpectedly. The name 'Neethan, Shrilstein'. The police burau had all its detectives on other cases so they had to employ Dr Holes and his companion Burrows. Burrows had put on his best signature black waxed jacket for the last case with Sir Holes. The postal office was just a few blocks away from Holes his 'office' (which really just was a small hotel room re arranged with many books and a burau). Burrows walks towards Holes his appartement complex. When he enters he greed's the old lady behind the counter and walks up to Holes his room. The same salmon pink hallway, with the red carpet and dark oaken doors. Burrows nocks on the door and opens it to find the room fully lit with Holes sitting in his chair upright in his detective suit writing down notes of the last case. "Sir we have another case!" Burrows shouts proudly, with his cigar between the fingers of his right hand.  Holes already had a smile on his face when Burrows entered the room but it got only bigger when he got the news. He answers while standing up from his desk, facing the floor in thought: "Well that is great, what is it? Lets not make it another lost necklace.". "No Sir something far, far more interesting, a possible murder case!". Holes stops for a second and his eyes look up to Burrows, "Did you pull some strings with the police to get one of there cases or something?" He asks. Burrows replies: "No, no, no, apparently they are short on men and required our help.". Holes his smile turnes into a malicious grin. He says: "Well then we will 'require' some good money then haha". Burrows puts the cigar back in his mouth, and raises the case file to read it out. Reading out loud with the cigar between his mouth he says: "Mister 'Neethan, Shrilstein' a children's book author was found dead in his office, by his maid. He was found face first in one of his latest books and a pool of his own blood-", "Murder" Holes interrupts Burrows while collecting his bag. "- yes Sir, that is what I thought too but the maid claimed murder was impossible because she passed his room several times that day, and the window was closed, based on that she said it would have been impossible for him to be murdered by someone else!". "Some one else than himself?". "I guess so" Burrows ended. Burrows and Holes go to the location by horse and cart. The sun is shining and deflecting off of the polished shoes of men in the streets. They exit the cartridge in front of a large building surrounded by police men wearing their signature black suits and custodian helmets. They are blocking press people taking pictures of the building.