Chapter 2: The Human Appreciation Society

Mabel and Dipper waited outside of a classroom as they waited for Augustus to introduce them to the rest of the H.A.S. members. "-and I'm so happy to introduce you guys to our newest members!" Augustus exclaimed as he gestured for the twins to enter the room. Mabel walked in with confidence as Dipper trailed behind her. "Please introduce yourselves and explain your reason for wanting to join the Human Appreciation Society." Augustus explained. "Hi! I'm Mabel and this is my twin brother Dipper!" Mabel said happily as Dipper waved to the members, "We're from Gravity Falls which is really into humans and their culture!" "It also is a place where most of the human world's things leak into ours." Dipper explained as he tugged down his hat. 

A girl with an eyeball for a head mumbled out a muffled sentence. (Where's Gravity Falls?) "It's this small town located near the knee." Dipper explained. "Yeah! We used to go to school there!" Mabel chimed in. "Why did you transfer?" "Why don't you ask Dipper?" Mabel said smugly. "I told you I didn't know that would happen!" Dipper retaliated. "He let a Gremloblin loose in the school!" Mabel announced as she chuckled, "It destroyed everything!" "Mabel!" Dipper protested. "Then it traumatized the principal! Grunkle Ford had to erase their memories just so they could regain their composure!" Mabel continued. "They're fine now. Don't worry." Dipper reassured the room. "What's a Gremloblin?" Augustus asked. "Well, it's-" Dipper started to explain only to be interrupted by Mabel, "Hey! Look at this cool human thing!" 

Mabel showed off a small device with buttons. "Whoa! You brought a human treasure on your first day?" Augustus said with surprise. "Yeah! It's apparently called a cal-cu-late-or! I don't know what humans use it for though." Mabel said excitedly. "It's used to help humans solve these things called 'math equations'." Dipper explained as he watched the club members poke the device curiously, "And it's actually pronounced calculator." The eyeball girl 'spoke' again. (What is a 'math equation'?) "It's one of the things that humans learn in schools since they don't have magic." Dipper explained once again. "Humans have an entire class dedicated to numbers?!" Mabel questioned with shock. Dipper nodded. "Why would they want to do that?" Augustus asked as he turned to Dipper. Dipper, not having an answer, just shrugged.

Mabel and Dipper became regular members of the H.A.S. after that day, they quickly made friends with everyone in the small group. They would go exploring the woods of Gravity Falls for mysteries and would bring back any human treasures that they found. Dipper would always ask Ford about any of the artifacts they found so he could give their fellow members the proper information regarding each one. Once Dipper was offered the role as president of the club, much to Augustus' discomfort. Luckily, Dipper disagreed due to his lack of confidence when it came to leading people and his unwillingness to take over the position that Augustus enjoyed so much. He was however, forced to become the vice president of the club, which was a role that didn't exist before that point. 

The H.A.S. meeting had started without Augustus this day. He was gone and nobody knew why so Dipper had to start the meeting. "This right here is a Tamagotchi. They are these fake pets that humans have to take care of." Dipper explained, "If you don't take care of them, they will die. Giving human children emotional trauma." The girl with the eyeball for a head rose her hand. (Why would they give these to children? And is the animal in that one still alive?) She asked. "I'm not sure why they give these to human children, possibly to teach them responsibility. And no, when me and Mabel found this one it was already dead." Dipper answered. "Can you take us to Gravity Falls? So, we can find human treasures ourselves?" Another member asked. "I don't know... We would have to ask our Grunkles..." Dipper pondered. After the meeting the twins were walking home outside when they noticed their friend walking with two other people. Mabel started to run up to him, "Augustus!" Dipper followed close behind. "Why weren't you at the me-" Mabel stopped in her tracks. One of the people Augustus was walking with... was a human.