Chapter 3: Human

Author's Note:

Luz doesn't know about the braces thing because Gus learned about them from Mabel and Dipper. Gus was reading a different part of the human magazine.

"A human! Wow!" Mabel ran around the human, "I've always wanted to meet one! I even have braces like other humans! See!" Mabel pointed to her teeth. "Do witches not wear braces?" the human asked curiously. "Not exactly." Dipper said as he pulled Mabel back, "Sorry about my sister. She gets excited around new people, and considering that you're a human... I don't exactly blame her." The human waved the statement off, "It's totally fine. I'm just as excited to learn about witches. I'm Luz by the way." "I'm Mabel! This dork is my twin brother Dipper!" Mabel said to Luz then turned to the other girl, "And I don't think we've met..." "I'm Willow... I'm friends with Gus. How do you know him?" "Dip-Dop is the vice-president of H.A.S." Mabel responded. Dipper nodded then turned to Gus, "I'm assuming this is why you weren't at the meeting today." Gus' eyes widened, "That was today?! I totally forgot! What did you show them this time?" Dipper pulled out the Tamagotchi. Luz looked at it curiously, "Where'd you get that?" Dipper looked at her, "Gravity Falls. It's where most of the human stuff around here comes from." "Could you take me there?!" Luz asked. "I wouldn't do that unless you want to get interrogated by Grunkle Ford." Mabel announced. "Or swindled out of your snails by Grunkle Stan." Dipper piped in.

Willow looked at the twins curiously, "Gravity Falls? I've never heard of it." "Oh yeah! It's super hard to find! Anyways, where are you guys headed? Can we come?" Mabel asked. "The Owl House! It's where I'm staying right now." Luz explained. "I've heard of that place..." Dipper said mostly to himself. Dipper began mumbling as he summoned a blue journal with the design of a tree on the front into his hand and began flipping through it. Mabel pulled the still mumbling Dipper as the group walked in the direction of the Owl House. "So, Gus, when did you decide to get a nickname?" Mabel asked her friend. "Luz gave me the nickname! A human nickname! Can you believe it?!" Gus said happily as he bounced a bit. "Cool! Did you know that Dipper's nickname is based on a human constellation!" Mabel responded, just as happily. This snapped Dipper out of his thoughts, "Mabel! You said you wouldn't tell anyone!" Dipper stumbled as he got upright and began walking himself. "Come on Bro-bro! They were bound to find out now that we're friends with a human!" Mabel giggled as she playfully shoved her brother. Dipper shoved Mabel back then quickly walked ahead of her to avoid an attack from his sister.

They quickly made their way to the owl house and Dipper remembered why it was so familiar. Grunkle Stan and him had gotten lost while looking for stuff to make more fake attractions for the Mystery Shack one time and came across this place. Grunkle Stan quickly made friends with the Owl Lady, a well-known and wanted criminal, bonding over their status as criminals as well as their likelihood to pickpocket someone for their snails. While that friendship was blooming Dipper met the two demons that lived in the house. One was a bug-type demon named Hooty and the other was named King, although Dipper couldn't tell what kind of demon King was, which was weird considering how much research he did on the topic. Hooty, upon seeing the arrival of Luz and the others immediately extended towards them. "Hi Luz!" Hooty said then noticed Dipper and Mabel, "Hi Dip! Hi Dip's clone!" Mabel gasped dramatically, "Dipper! When were you going to tell me you knew a demon house?!" Dipper raised his hands in defense, "I did tell you! It was when you were having a sleepover at Candy's house!" "Oh yeah, I forgot about that." Mabel shrugged.

"What's with all the noise out there!" A woman called as she stepped into view. "Oh- children." she said with a groan. "Hey, I recognize you!" The woman pointed to Dipper, "How are you Squirt?" Dipper gulped nervously, "I-I'm good Eda." He didn't like being singled out from the others. King soon stepped out of the house. "I have mourned my son..." King said solemnly then turned happily when he noticed Dipper, "Dipper! My most loyal subject!" Dipper waved shyly; he hadn't meant to become King's 'subject.' He just couldn't say no to his cute face! Mabel gasped once again and scooped King up, "Aren't you just the cutest thing!" "I am not cute!" King yelled as he attempted to squirm out of Mabel's grip. "Mabel, can you please put King down?" Dipper asked as the group behind him watched the siblings. "But Dipper!" "No buts. He's clearly uncomfortable." Dipper said as he pointed to King, who was still squirming. Mabel sighed and put King back on the ground. King laughed with triumph.

Eda turned to Luz, "So Kid how was..." She gagged as she said the next word, as though it physically made her sick, "...school." "It was great! I learned all this cool stuff! I can't wait to go back!" "About that..." Gus said as he pulled a rolled paper from his pocket, "You're kinda... sorta banned." Gus unrolled the paper to reveal and banned poster. It was quiet for a moment until Eda stepped forward, "That's my girl!" Mabel chuckled, "That sounds like something Grunkle Stan would say." Dipper nodded in agreement. They stayed for a few more minutes after Gus and Willow left until Mabel got a text. She summoned her scroll and read it, "Hey Dippin' Sauce, I just got a message from Grunkle Ford." Dipper looked over at Mabel, "What did he say?" "He's wondering when we're coming home and needs your help with some nerd thing." Mabel shrugged. "Well, we better go then." Dipper turned to the residents of the Owl House, "Bye everyone." Eda stepped forward a bit, "Do you kids need a ride?" Mabel shook her head, "No thanks, we'll just take Waddles!" "Waddles?" Luz asked. Mabel suddenly summoned her staff. A pig palisman sat in a bejeweled golden cup. Mabel wasted no time hopping onto the staff. Dipper was a bit more careful and held onto the base for dear life. Mabel kicked her legs and yelled, "Waddles to freedom!" And then they were gone.