Chapter 7: Night Market

The next few weeks were surprisingly calm for Dipper, minus the news article that appeared only a day after the Covention. The title very clearly said 'Winner of Annual Covention Refuses to Join Emperor's Coven Despite Potential' which he was partly flattered by. The title made it seem a bit tougher in his opinion, but also made him a target for the Coven guards. Although the intentions of the guards seemed... innocent enough. He was mostly just given flyers and posters for the Emperor's Coven that ended up in the dumpster outside the Mystery Shack by the end of the day. It was getting rather... annoying. And repetitive. Oh Titan, it was so repetitive. Practically every time Dipper left Gravity Falls at least five guards would try to requite him into the Emperor's Coven, only for them to be met with absentminded dismissal. 

Currently Mabel and Dipper were instructed to go to the night market to find anything that could inspire any new attractions to the shack. Dipper had already gotten 3 posters from 3 different guards, all of which were already ash thanks to a fire spell that Dipper learned recently. Dipper and Mabel were looking at the shops at a sculpture of a griffin. Mabel had her notebook and a glitter pen out and was writing down any fantastical idea that popped in her head. "I was thinking instead of spiders the griffin should breathe rainbows! And be covered in glitter! And instead of a lion's body it should have a giraffe body!" Mabel said happily as she shoved her drawing into Dipper's face. Dipper pushed the notebook away slightly to properly look at the picture. "A giraffe? Didn't the Isles banish them?" Dipper asked after a moment. "Not all of them!" Mabel said happily. 

Dipper dropped Mabel's notebook in shock, "You saw a giraffe?!" Mabel smiled, "Yep! Grenda told me and Candy that she heard some weird noises outside her house! I was going to get you but you and Grunkle Ford were playing your dumb nerd game." Mabel explained with a smile on her face. "Did you get any pictures?" Dipper asked. "Sorry Bro-bro. I couldn't get any." Mabel picked up her notebook and started drawing, "But it looked like this!" Mabel held her notebook in front of her brother. Dipper analyzed the picture, "Longer neck than I imagined..." "Mhm!" Mabel hummed in agreement, "If we didn't live in Gravity Falls, I'd say it's the weirdest thing I've ever seen!" Dipper laughed quietly, "Yeah, bunch of freaks!"

Dipper and Mabel continued their search for attractions when they ran into Eda and King. Eda was playing Hexes hold 'em by herself as she was trying to buy some potions. Dipper walked up to King who noticed him almost immediately. "Hey King, what are you two doing here?" Dipper asked. Mabel got distracted by another booth. "Day market was out of Eda's elixirs." King said plainly, "Eda's trying to get this guy to give them to her but she's too obsessed with Hexes hold 'em to do it!" "I am not obsessed!" Eda said defensively. "You're playing it right now!" King yelled back. Eda looked down in front of her, noticing the cards. She smiled, "Am I winning?" King sighed as the shop owner that looked like Waddles challenged her to a game. King spun around like a dog to face Dipper, "What are you doing here anyway?" "My Grunkle runs a tourist attraction and sent me and Mabel to get ideas for new attractions." 

The pig demon looked at Dipper. "Is this child with you?" the pig asked Eda in a tone that creeped Dipper out. Eda absentmindedly looked at Dipper and nodded. Dipper gulped as he felt he was now stuck in Eda's deal. Mabel skipped over to Dipper, "Alright Dip-Dop! I found another cool idea!" Mabel began explaining her idea when Dipper noticed something out of the corner of his eye. Was... Was it the Owl House on... chicken legs? He pointed it out to Mabel since she was the only one paying attention to him at that moment. Mabel looked at it with wonder, "A perfect idea! Come on Bro-Bro!" Mabel tried to run in the direction of the house, but Dipper stayed still. "Dipper?" Mabel asked when she noticed her brother wasn't following. "You go ahead Mabel. I'm going to talk with King a bit more." Dipper said quickly. Mabel looked confused but nodded anyway, "Alright Bro-Bro! Meet you at the shack later!" Mabel summoned her staff as she ran and jumped on it, flying towards the walking house.  

King turned back to Dipper from his skepticism of the pig demon, "So you said you 'Grunkle' runs a tourist attraction? Can you tell me about it?" Dipper looked at King who was still sitting on the counter, "Oh, yeah... the Mystery Shack, that's the name of the tourist attraction." Dipper summoned what looked like a bumper sticker and handed it to King. "Best attraction on the Boiling Isles, full of wonder and intrigue. Stop by if you're ever looking for the next greatest mystery." Dipper said with fake enthusiasm then shrugged, "Or if you just want to say hi." King looked at the bumper sticker in his hands. It read exactly like what Dipper had said with an additional disclaimer at the bottom. 

'*The Mystery Shack® does not condone business from any governmental leaders such as the Emperor Belos or his Coven. Patrons will be checked for sigils before entry.' 

King, who had already known about Dipper's disdain for the Emperor's Coven, looked over the sentence again. "What's this little circle thing?" King asked as he pointed to it. "Grunkle Ford said it was a 'trademark.' Apparently, it's a law or something from the human realm." Dipper explained, "The Mystery Shack isn't actually 'trademarked.' Grunkle Stan just thought it made the Mystery Shack look more professional." King looked confused but didn't have time to respond as Eda slammed down her cards in frustration. 'Oh Titan...' Dipper thought as a feeling of dread washed over him. Eda lost... what did that mean for them?