~1~

TW: 911 call for su!c!de attempt

The siren blared through the station and I jumped up from the couch. I tossed my book to the side and raced toward the trunk. The rest of the team did the same till we had all pilled into the trunk and ambulance.

"Roll out!" Captain Bobby Nash yelled, as seconds later the engine had taken off from the station. Minutes later we rolled up onto the scene where a young boy had hit his head on a diving board and stopped breathing. The dispatcher had been talking the woman through CPR until we could get on the scene and take over. I pushed the door open and we raced into the pool deck.

"Buck start compressions," Bobby instructed. "Hen, start bagging him. Ma'am come with me. I need to get my team in there. Don't worry. He's gonna be all right, please just take a seat," Bobby said as the woman stood up. Buck, Hen, Chimney, and I got to work on the boy. I pulled the pulse oximeter from the med kit and got to work putting it on.

"Get some of that water out," Hen said.

"Coming around. Starting compressions," Buck announced.

"Pulse ox is on," I said once I finished.

"Pad's on," Chimney said.

"How long was he underwater?" Bobby asked the worrying mother.

"I don't know. A few minutes maybe."

"Does he have any medical conditions?" Bobby asked as Buck counted out the compressions.

"No."

"Is he on any medications?"

"No." Buck got to 20 and Chimney charged up the defibrillator and Buck took his hands off the boy's body.

"No rhythm," Chimney reported. Chimney charged the defibrillators again and another shock went into his body.

"Come on kid. Come on," Buck whispered.

"Got a pulse!" Chimney announced.

"Oh thank god," The mother exclaimed. The kid began to stir and started coughing up water.

"Hey. Hey, man. That's it. Get it out," Buck said as Hen kept a supporting grip on the boys head.

"There we go. Good job kid," Bobby said.

"Alright, your mom is right here," I said to the boy, cueing the mother to join us around her son. "You're gonna be okay."

"Thank you," The mother said. "You're okay."

As soon as we'd gotten back to the station we'd gone straight to another call. Bobby had gone up a ladder toward a ledge and was trying to talk down a woman who was attempting to commit suicide. He'd gone up about five minutes ago and we hadn't heard anything since.

I stood at the bottom of the ladder, waiting with the rest of the 118 and one of the woman's friends. He'd been the one who'd called 911. The woman seemed to look back at Bobby and then threw herself off the ledge.

"Hey! Hey! Hey!" Buck yelled next to me, trying to run toward a woman who was already too far gone to save.

"She jumped-" The man said next to me his voice quiet, as if he couldn't believe what'd he just seen.

"I'm sorry, sir," I said turning from the ledge the woman had jumped from to the grief-stricken man. "I understand this must be hard for you. You do everything you could."