Ma

She intended to hold him for only a little while before going to bed but he felt so comfortable against her that she ended up falling asleep in his arms on the couch. She jumped awake with a gasp confused why she wasn't in her bed. 

Case looked like he had been awake longer.

"Hey, morning." he said she felt him brush her hair away from her face. Violet smiled and pulled herself out of his arms. As she got up she stopped to straighten her coffee table that had been knocked back. The scratch on the floor didn't look too bad. Sorta.

"Why did we sleep on the couch together before your bed?" he asked as he got up. He groaned stretching in the middle of the room. His hair was very messy. She could hear his spine crack as he stretched. 

As they entered the kitchen Pennyloaf had her back to them loafing in a sunspot near the kitchen table. 

Pennyloaf spotted Case's shadow approach from behind and meowed. Since Pennyloaf was deaf all her meows were piercing blaring cries. Case never seemed to be annoyed with it though, it just made him laugh to have her scream at him as he passed he also talked to her as if she could hear him, 

"Yes, yes I know, breakfast." he said lovingly to her giving her some scratches before he made his way to the kitchen. She padded after him brushing against his legs and purring with affection. 

xxx

Violet left Case home that day to go food shopping, but returned home not too long after leaving because she forgot her wallet. 

When she came back in the house she heard Case's voice on the other side of the house. Case was on his cellphone pacing on the porch. 

"Oh come on, if you're gonna be like this I'll just call Joan!" 

He sounded more annoyed than Violet had ever seen him. He sank his teeth into some beef jerky he was twiddling around his fingers.

Violet stopped short and looked out the window. He hadn't seemed to notice her yet. 

"I know you'd love to stick a tracking device under my skin, but I don't really need to tell you where I am." he snapped at them.

"I am not on the run from the police, I didn't do anything illegal!"

That certainly wasn't true Violet thought to herself. She made sure she was standing at a good angle to not be seen.

"I wasn't happy and I needed a change." he said sternly and carefully. He groaned as his conversation partner was not happy, "It's as simple as that."

"I'm... I'm just staying at a friends house."

"Fine. I'm in Maine, okay? Happy?"

"A friends house." he repeated again

"It's nothing! This girl's house!"

"I know it's where-"

"It's... yeah it's her... w-we started talking and I drove-"

"Yes. The author."

Violet saw him wince at whatever he heard on the other side of the line. He stayed quiet and started to nibble at the beef jerky again. He looked kinda gutted.