𝟎𝟎𝟓

𝗝𝘂𝗹𝘆 𝟭𝟮𝘁𝗵, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯
𝗠𝗲𝗺𝗽𝗵𝗶𝘀, 𝗧𝗲𝗻𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗲𝗲

"Great for you to finally join us, Mr Morant," Ja heard from the academy director as soon as he walked into the conference room; Her tone slightly laced with annoyance. He looked over to see both of Kaari's grandmothers giving him an embarrassed look as he took a seat next to them.

"Hi!" Kaari perked up and waved politely at the lady seated at the head of the table. "Why did you feel the need to schedule a conference?" Mrs. Dubose ignored the little girl and cut straight to the chase.

Jamie furrowed her eyebrows at the lady for ignoring her granddaughter, but instead of voicing her opinion and setting her straight, she remained professional.

"What happened the day of Kaari's injury, We were left in the dark about what caused her fracture, and we wanted more clarity," Karen spoke before Jamie had the opportunity to speak and set the tone, which was almost guaranteed to be disrespectful if she had the chance.

"Oh, it is truly unfortunate what happened to Kaari..." The lady dragged out her words, as if she was still trying to figure out what she was going to say.

"In Kaari's class, the girls had been trying out for their roles in this year's Nutcracker rendition... Kaari's lil' ole' confident self wanted to try out for the role of the Sugarplum Fairy against another one of our girls and had a simple stumble during her routine.." Her explanation sounded half-assed and wasn't clear on what exactly happened.

"A simple stumble?" Ja questioned; believing the two had two completely different interpretations of what a 'stumble' was.

"We've communicated everything technical you need to know with the hospital." Mrs.Dubose's response was concise and snarky... She acted as if she was in a rush, constantly checking her wristwatch and impatiently tapping her gel-manicured fingernails on the woodgrain desk.... Almost as if the conference was irritating her.

Ja sat there, lost in thought about why the lady was so insistent on not being transparent. It only led him to believe that some shit was going on.

"Well, the hospital said y'all's fuckin story didn't add up," Jamie had had it with the lady's attitude, despite them only being in conversation for a few moments.

"Are you accusing my establishment of misconduct, Mrs.Morant?" Mrs.Dubose let out an offended gasp and held her hand up to her chest.

"I'm trying to convey to you that there is no way in hell her 27-pound-self inflicted THREE fractures in her arm from a simple 'stumble'," Jamie replied, her thick accent coming to light through her vexation.

"Well" Mrs.Dubose tried to emulate Jamie's cadence and manner of speaking; making the three sitting on the opposing side of the table let out a scoff at her ignorance.

"I'm just not so sure what to tell you, Mrs. Morant, 'cause that's what happened," She shrugged before gathering her belongings as if she was about to leave. "Now if you are all done wasting my time..." She stood from her seat.

"Um, Excuse me?" Jamie waved her hand in the directors face, in an attempt to help her realize that this conference was no where near over — to which she didn't "This white bitch-" Karen had to stop Jamie before she could continue.