𝟎𝟎𝟔

𝗝𝘂𝗹𝘆 𝟯𝟭, 𝟮𝟬𝟮𝟯
𝗠𝗲𝗺𝗽𝗵𝗶𝘀, 𝗧𝗲𝗻𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗲𝗲

"DADDY WAKE UP WE GOTTA GO SEE MICKEY!!!" Kaari excitedly yelled in her father's ear. Ja shot wide awake, feeling the slight pressure of his daughter sitting on his chest.

Even though Kaari had only met Milan three times before, She had seemed to be developing some sort of attachment to her... which Ja wasn't too fond of, being that he still only saw her as some bounce from the club

"Shit Kaari.. what time is it?" He groaned at the bright atmosphere of his room and Kaari's high-pitched yelling in his ear before he mustered the strength to check his phone that laid beside him. 11:05 AM.

They had been routinely visiting Dr.Kennedy at 11:30 every week on Monday for weekly adjustments, weight checks, and X-rays.

Despite the fact that their appointment was at 11:30 and the fact that Ja KNEW this, as it had become customary, the both of them still sat in the warm embrace of his white duvet with morning breath and crusty eyes.

The commute to Dr.Kennedy's office was around 35 minutes with no traffic, so he knew there was no way they'd make it on time and that he'd have to reschedule. He swiped his phone unlocked and scrolled through his call log to the unsaved phone number that Milan used to contact him initially.

It rang a few times before it finally went through, "Good Morning! How may I-" "Can you connect me to Dr.Kennedy" Ja urged after the voice he heard wasn't Milan's. "I believe she is seeing a patient right now, I can leave a message?..." The clerk suggested

"I need her on my line... It's serious..." He lied straight through his teeth. "Emergencies should be communicated with 911. If you or someone-"

"Ion wanna hear allat...Put Milan on the phone for me ma..." He huffed after cutting her speech short

"I'll see if I can get a hold of her..." Ja heard before he was met with the monotonous sound of their on-hold tune.

After a few moments he was met with that same thick bubbly Memphis accent that annoyed the shit outta him "Good Morning, Dr.Milan Kennedy speaking..."

"MICKEYYYYY!!!!" Kaari beamed with excitement after hearing a sliver of her doctor's voice come from her father's phone. "Ohhh is that Miss Kaari I hear???" Milan laughed while the sound of shuffling papers could be heard on her end of the line. The low tune of Change Your Life by Kehlani could be faintly heard emitting from her office speaker. "Is everything okay? I see you guys in a bit what's the rush?"

"Make room for us later today..." Ja's question came out as a demand. Milan could be heard on the other end of the line sucking the air through her teeth before smacking her lips... "I don't think I can do that, my schedule is filled..."

"You got someone in an hour?" He questioned... "I'll be on my lunch break, I'm sorry-"

"Squeeze me in, I'll make it up to you," He unintentionally laced his voice with amorosity... After sitting in silence for a bit Milan huffed... "C'mon, what happened to allat hospitality you had to offer, Mickey?" He referenced the night the two had unofficially met.

The fact that he even remembered that made a small pit form in her stomach.

"Okay...Only because I wanna make sure your daughter is okay.." She lied, knowing that the way he was talking to her was influencing her more than any good intentions she had.

"Okay, Doctor Kennedy." He laughed before hanging up the phone.

𝗔 𝗕𝗜𝗧 𝗟𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗥

"You gained an inch on me Kar!!" Milan exclaimed as she measured her height, making the little girl beam a huge smile. "breedin' a lil Britney Griner," Ja added "Oh yeah?" Milan asked in amusement.

"You like basketball Kaari?" She asked, "No..." Kaari admitted, making her father turn his nose up. "You don't like basketball Kaari?" His tone was shocked, like he was just finding out this information alongside Milan. "No, just ballet right now..."

"And look where that got you," He nudged her cast, obviously offended. "Okay you're done," Dr. Kennedy laughed at his immaturity toward his daughter before taking Kaari's hand and guiding her to the check up room. "Whyd you guys wanna see me later today?" She asked purely out of curiosity... and because they were getting in the way of her only break.

"We overslept," Ja was honest... although she appreciated his honesty, she was frustrated at his disregard for her time and availability.

"Mn," she hummed as she logged into the computer to log all of her findings.

"Any ouchies this week?" She asked Kaari, to which the little girl shook her head no. "She's been sleeping a full 8 with naps throughout the day?" Dr. Kennedy asked Ja, turning around to find him observing her every move... seemingly lost in thought. "Hello?" She waved to garner his attention. "Hm? What?" He asked, snapping back to reality. "Has she been sleeping good?" She asked once more. "Mhm"

Milan huffed before turning toward her computer again.

"Well everything looks perfect, next time I see you both it'll be time for a recast," Milan said while glancing at her watch, hoping that she had a little time left to grab her a bite to eat being that she hadn't eaten since the day prior.

"You got time?" Ja had picked up on her notion, "Nope," She huffed, making the boy feel a little culpable...

"What time do you clock out?" He stood up from his seat and averted his gaze toward her. "Hm?" Milan asked confused "Me and Kaari wanna make it up to you," Ja offered with a slight smirk on his face.

"I cant. That's unprofessional... Thank you though." She politely turned down his advances while fiddling with her stethoscope.

Before either of them had the opportunity to add onto the conversation, a small rumble from Milan's stomach could be heard.

"Girl you know yo ass hungry... We just wanna take you to get something to eat, nothing crazy..." Ja used the term 'We' to sugar coat solely his plan that Kaari had no part in.

Teniyah's words from the last time they'd hung out had stuck on him... there was no harm in him just building rapport with the Doctor... for Kaari's sake.

Milan sat there biting the inside of her lip before sighing. "I usually leave the office around 3:30," She finally obliged. She was never too proud to turn down free food.

Ja let a slight smile form on his lips at the information. "Well think about what you want, We'll be back," He said while picking up Kaari. "Yeah, alright," Dr. Kennedy hummed, already knowing the spot she wanted to go to. "See y'all soon," She waved.