Chapter 2

Danny

Dean

Dean

Kyle

Danny Pov

"You know, you have the cutest boy name ever."

"Kyle, get off the counter before you get me fired you big oaf." I shook my head. His friends dropped him off here drunk. They asked him where he wanted to go, and he told them he wanted to come to me. We've been friends for months now. I recently found out that he doesn't have an after-school job because he doesn't need one. His family is loaded. So, when he leaves school early, he gets to go out and get drunk.

"Is Danny short for Daniella?"

"No, it's just Danny. My father couldn't think of a single girl's name. Here, sit on this crate and I'll go get coffee."

"You're the best Danny."

I always wonder why he drinks so much. He acts like he has a weight on his shoulders. Or is he just being your average rich boy? I shrugged. I definitely don't know anything about rich people's problems. But he's nice, considerate and sweet. He tells me all the time how much he needs me. I'm still confused about that. I don't think he wants me as a girlfriend. We realized early on that we should just remain friends. I'm just grateful to have at least one friend. I don't think Kyle's other friends like me much, so he hangs with me separate from when he hangs with them. He tried to make me come with them all the time, but I declined. I don't like who he is when he's with them. When he's with me he studies, and he doesn't drink. I don't know how I will get him home. I walk home every evening from here.

When the coffee was done brewing, I took him a cup. As he sat there and sipped his coffee, I tried to think of a way to get him home.

"Kyle, do you want me to call your parents?"

He shook his head. "You can drive my car. David left it here and caught a ride with the rest."

I wanted to scoff when he said David. I started the lockup process. No one has been here for the past hour anyway.

"Let's go Kyle." He looks up at me and blinks, then smiles. I frowned, then bent down and helped him up. I threw his arm around my shoulders.

"You're mad aren't you."

"Yes Kyle, I'm angry. How could you let them dump you off here. They are your friends. They're supposed to make sure you make it home safely."

"You're my friend. You're gonna make sure I make it home safely."

I grunt. He's missing my point. I put him on the passenger side and got on the driver's side of his 1967 mustang. It roared to life when I crank it up.

He calls his mustang Lucille. Like the movie Gone In 60 Seconds. Both vehicles look almost the same.

I make my way towards his house. I pulled up to the property's gate. I pressed in the code he gave me. I've really tried to avoid coming to his house. I've been here before, but I've never really been inside. I'm afraid that it would intimidate me and change how I see Kyle. I try to be sympathetic to his problems, but he just screams spoiled to me. Of course, I don't say this to him. I won't hurt his feelings.

Plus, Kyle can go from 0 to threatening in a second. I've seen him do it twice. The only reason why he stopped his assault on the guy is because I started shaking from terror and fear. Kyle tells me that I'm too sheltered. My father was a 6 feet 5 inches Marine. No one would dare speak to me. I remember when my father scared a boy away when I was 14 years old. The boy was the son of another Marine, but my father didn't care. He threatened the boy all the same. He died months after my 15th birthday. That was two years ago.

I'm snapped from my thoughts by his snoring. I shake his shoulders. I did it harder than I should. I'm still angry with him and his so-called friends.

"Kyle, can you make it inside on your own? I need to call an uber."

"Nooo," he groaned. "Come in with me. Help me."

" Kyle, I don't think I should come inside."

"Yes, you should, now come help me out."

"Kyle."

"Just fucking do it! Are you my fucking friend or not!"

I jumped as he cut me off and screamed at me. My chest filled with hurt. "Of course I am. You know that."

"Why don't you want to come in? You think something in my house will get you. My house isn't good enough for you!"

My eyes gather tears. "That's not what I meant, Kyle."

"Then fucking help me."

I quickly got out of the car and came around to help him out.

He wrapped his arm around me. "I'm sorry Danny. I didn't mean to yell at you. My life is shit, just fucking shit."

I nodded and remained silent. Kyle is my only friend. If I lose him, it will hurt. We made it inside. I head to the couch. I put him down. He sat up on the couch and dropped his head back on the back of the couch. He closed his eyes then patted the spot next to him.

"Have a seat."

I sat next to him and looked around. This is exactly what I was afraid of. It looks intimidating. The couches look so white that I feel any dirt on my clothes will smudge it. But it also helps me in a way. I see why Kyle hates it here as he says. It looks like a big museum. No homey feeling. No wonder he likes coming to my house.

"Kyle. Can I go now? Will you be ok?"

"Mm," he mumbled, then followed that with a forward lurch. He proceeded to barf all over himself and the floor.

I gasped. "Kyle." He held up his hand to ward me away.

"Can you walk that way and find the laundry room and bring me some more clothes please."

I nodded and did as he asked. I walked down the long hallway. When I came upon the laundry room, I found his pajamas.

I also grabbed some cleaning supplies, a mop and ran some water in a bucket. I made it back and threw the clothes at him. I started to clean up his mess. I refuse to keep thinking about why he's in this predicament. I will get angry then he will get angry so it will lead to nowhere. When I'm done, I get ready to take the mop bucket back, but he stops me. "Come on Danny, come lay with me. He has changed into his pajamas and has the afghan thrown over him.

I signed. "Just for a second Kyle. I need to get back." He stopped me with a glare.

I nodded and sat beside him. He threw the blanket over us and forced my head on his shoulder.

Without meaning to, I fell asleep.