Chapter 6

Danny Pov

"Damn it! Damn it!"

"Language sweetheart."

"Sorry grandpa. I burnt the garlic toast edges," I whined.

"Easily remedied." He grabbed a butter knife then started scrubbing off the burnt parts.

"Wow. Where did you learn to do that? Was it in the Marines?"

"No sweetheart. Your grandmother was a horrible cook. Been doing this for 35 years."

I laughed. "Why didn't you tell her or make her take lessons?"

He got a far away look in his eyes. "Sweetheart, that's the last thing a woman wants to hear after a long day of work. She wants appreciation, not critique and complaining. On the plus side, my intestines are very strong." He chuckled.

My eyes became misty. "That's beautiful grandpa. I hope my husband is just like you. Considerate, thoughtful and kind. Too bad all the men in my life want to be friends."

He hugs me. "Give it time, sweetheart. Right now, focus on graduating and getting a good education. Everything else will work itself out. Now let's finish scratching this burnt off the garlic bread."

"Hey, what's burning in here."

I rolled my eyes at Kyle. He never knocks on doors. Just barge in.

He kissed my cheek. "Hey, what's happening Mr. Artusian."

My grandfather shook his hand. "Hi Kyle."

Kyle flinched. When my grandpa walked away Kyle whispered, "tell your big ass grandad to stop it with these strong ass handshakes."

I smiled. My grandpa alway says that Kyle needs to be made of sterner stuff. That he's a pansy. I've seen pictures of my grandfather when he was a young Samoan. He was huge. He gives "Dwayne The Rock Johnson" vibes. He's even as tall as the actor. My grandfather is in excellent shape. At 58 he still goes out jogging.

"Dean, nice to see you again." I turned to see my grandfather shaking Dean's hands. I look to see if he flinches. He doesn't. I shrug, maybe Kyle is a pansy.

"Food is ready. Let's eat."

We all sat down. "Dean, what are your plans after college?" My grandfather asks.

"Start a business."

"What kind of business."

"Investments."

"Exciting but risky. Always trust your gut with investments. Just because a person looks good on paper doesn't mean they won't screw you. I've helped the military build weapons and I'm still looking for that money. We had a contract and everything, but when the government decides to screw you, what can you do?"

Dean nodded.

"What about you, Kyle?"

Kyle choked on his food like he didn't know that question was coming his way.

"For right now, I'm brainstorming. Playing around with careers, seeing which one suits me."

"Don't take long son, you'll blink and years have gone by. Sweetheart, do you still want to be in the marketing branch of business?."

I cleared my throat. "Actually pop, I wanted to try a different branch. Marketing is so cut throat. I don't think I'm cut out for it the more I research it."

He raised a brow. "Which branch?"

"Economics."

Kyle said, "Is that something like a tree hugger?"