B I R T H D A Y

Chapter 22
Madison Kurt

"What? But our birthdays tomorrow." Carter says. "Yeah we know but we thought we would celebrate today!" Bill says.

I look around again and I see a big poster that says 'Happy Birthday Carter and Mads!' I smile. I'm so happy right now.

We all sit down at a big round table and we all order our food. I got my favorite tacos.

Someone brings our food out and we eat it. It's now time for cake. Me and Carter are sitting in front of a huge cake that's say 'Carters and Mads 20th birthday!'. I think this is the best night ever.

I try to cut the cake but I struggle to so Tom helps me. I give everyone a slice and we all eat.

-

We finished cake and opening gifts from everyone and now me and Tom are walking on the beach together. I don't have shoes on so the water is hitting my feet as we walk.

Tom stops which makes me stop walking. He turns toward me. I watch as he pulls a small box out of his pocket.

"Here." He says and hands me the box. "What's this?" I look at him. "It's your present." He says and smiles. "But you already gave me a present." I say.

"I know but I really wanted to get you this." He says. I look away and open the box. I see a gold necklace that says 'angel' on it. I look at Tom and smile.

"Do you like it?" He asks. "I love it! Thank you." I say. "Can you put it on?" I ask him. He nods and I turn around.

He moves my hair out of the way and puts the necklace on. I turn back around and smile. He pulls me close and kisses me.

Tom makes me so happy. He treats me well and he's always there for me. That's why I love him so much. He makes me feel like I'm the only girl in the world.

I pull away and look at him in the eyes. He stares back at me. He moves a piece of my hair out of my face.

"We better get back." He says. "Yeah." I say. But we don't move instead he kisses me again.

I kiss back and we start to makeout. He has his hand around my waist and the other cupping my face. While I have mine around his neck.

I hear footsteps but don't bother to look to see who it is. "Excuse me!" I hear Aaliyah say. I pull back and look at her. "I get it it's your birthday and you wanna makeout with your smoking hot boyfriend but we're gonna go to some lame party." She says.

"Ok." I say and Tom grabs my hand we all go to the car and drive somewhere. I don't recognize anything.

We get out of the car when we get there and it's a huge house.

I walk in. Tom holding onto my hand and there's a bunch of people. Lights flashing everywhere.

Tom goes off to get a drink and I walk to try and find a bathroom. I walk down a hallway opening doors. When I open one door I see two people doing it.

"Oh shit sorry!" I say and close the door. I open another door and finally find a bathroom. I close the door as I walk in.

I go up to the mirror and fix up my makeup. I stare at myself in the mirror for a minute. I walk out and go outside to get some fresh air.

The house smells like cigarettes, BO, and smoke. I sit down on a stone wall my legs dangling in the air.

I pull out my cigarettes from my purse and put one between my lips I grab my lighter and light the cig.

I inhale and then exhale smoke coming out of my mouth as I do. I see Gustav walk up to me. "Hey." I say.

"Hi." He says and sits next to me. "Why are you up here?" He asks. "Lame party." I say. "You?" I ask. "Lane party." He repeats.

I try to hand him the cig. "No thanks." He says. I take another hit off the cig. "You know I really missed you those years I was gone." I say trying to break the silence.

"Me too." He says and looks at me. "Did you ever think of coming back?" He asks me.

"I did come back." I say and take another hit. "Really when?" He asks.

"The week school was gonna start. You guys were at a party and I went there with Aaliyah. We were gonna surprise you guys and I was gonna confess my feelings to Tom. But" I pause. "Once I got there I saw him making out with another girl." I let out a sigh.

"I let my emotions take me over. So me, Aaliyah, and Carter went back to New York. We moved in with mine and carters dad." I say and look at Gustav.

"You could have said hi to me." He says. "I wanted to but I couldn't find you guys." I say. "So I just gave up." I say and look down.

I take one more hit of my cigarette before putting it out. I rest my head on Gustavs shoulder. I feel him put his head in mine.

We just sit there. In silence. The silence that's comfortable. Peaceful.

It's not the awkward kind of silence.

Authors note. Sorry I haven't published a chapter lately!