Nightmare

Lexie's heart pounded in her chest as she jolted awake, drenched in sweat, her body trembling from the remnants of the nightmare that had plagued her sleep. She gasped for air, her breaths coming in shallow and ragged as she frantically scanned the room. The walls seemed to close in around her, the familiar surroundings distorted by her fear.

As her senses gradually regained focus, Lexie's gaze settled on the figure beside her, their form illuminated by the soft glow of moonlight filtering through the window. It was Y/N, her loving and compassionate girlfriend, who had been a steadfast presence throughout their journey of healing after the traumatic plane crash. Lexie's trembling hand reached out, craving the reassurance of touch, and gently grazed Y/N's cheek.

Y/N stirred at the delicate caress, their eyes fluttering open. Immediately, concern etched on their face as they recognized the anguish in Lexie's eyes. Y/N sat up, their voice filled with tenderness as they whispered, "Lexie, it's okay. You're safe now. I'm right here; I won't leave your side. Go back to sleep, darling."

Tears welled up in Lexie's eyes as the words washed over her, providing a small glimmer of solace amidst the remnants of her nightmare. She nodded, her voice quivering with emotion. "I... I can't lose you. Not again. Promise me, Y/N. Promise you'll stay."

Y/N's warm smile softened their features, and they took Lexie's trembling hand into their own, intertwining their fingers. "Lexie, I'm not going anywhere. I'll always be here for you. You're not alone in this, love."

Lexie's breath hitched, her grip tightening around Y/N's hand. She needed to feel Y/N's presence, to know they were real. Her fingertips danced along the contours of Y/N's face, mapping out the familiar features that had brought her comfort so many times before. Y/N leaned into her touch, their eyes locked on hers, providing a tangible connection that anchored Lexie to reality.

"I'm here, Lexie," Y/N murmured, their voice barely above a whisper. "You're safe with me. Just close your eyes and focus on my touch, my heartbeat."

Lexie's breathing gradually steadied as she followed Y/N's guidance. She closed her eyes, allowing herself to sink into the comfort of Y/N's embrace. Y/N's arms enveloped her in a tight, protective hug, cradling her close, and Lexie found solace in the rhythmic thud of Y/N's heart against her cheek.

As the minutes ticked by, Lexie's tension began to dissipate. Y/N's presence acted as a soothing balm, easing the remnants of her nightmare and replacing them with a sense of security and love. Y/N's fingers resumed their gentle carding through her hair, untangling the sweat-dampened strands with unwavering tenderness.

Lexie's voice was barely a whisper as she spoke, her words heavy with vulnerability. "I'm so scared, Y/N. The nightmares... they feel so real. But you... you make me feel safe."

Y/N's lips brushed against her forehead in a soft, lingering kiss, their voice filled with unwavering devotion. "I know, Lexie. The healing takes time, and I'll be right here by your side every step of the way. We'll face the nightmares together, and I'll always be here to remind you that you're loved, cherished, and safe."

Lexie let out a shuddering sigh, her body relaxing further against Y/N's chest.

In Y/N's arms, she found the strength to believe in brighter tomorrows, in the healing power of their love. As exhaustion claimed her once again, Lexie whispered her gratitude, her voice muffled against Y/N's heartbeat.

"Thank you, Y/N. I love you."

Y/N's embrace tightened, their voice a gentle melody in the darkness. "I love you too, Lexie. Sleep now, my darling. I'll be here when you wake up."