17. Never an honest word

:: C H A P T E R  S E V E N T E E N | NEVER AN HONEST WORD ::

I spent my birthday morning alone.

And I tried not to feel lonely.

Once, when Dad was still a stay-at-home dad, birthday mornings were special. He'd would make his overnight raspberry French toast that he only made on special occasions, and we'd douse it in the most expensive maple syrup that we could find.

I'd found the recipe in one of his old cookbooks, but it was no longer special when I made and ate it alone—there was too much left over and it tasted pretty terrible when reheated.

But that was before the money got really tight. Before my dad spent his nights fighting with my mom on the phone. Before my parents let their careers and their ambitions bulldoze an already fragile marriage.

Jules came over at noon with Enna and Shar and a cake that Cassandra had made for me. It was chocolate, three layers and covered in thick ganache and rich purple icing that spelled out my name and wished me a happy birthday.

We were all just pulling on our jackets to go outside when my phone rang.

"Hey, Birthday Girl," Gale said cheerfully. "How does the big one-seven feel?"

"No different than the big one-six." Despite my miserable week, I couldn't help the grin that spread across my face. "But how did you know it was my birthday?"

"Dav told me."

"Dav? Dav as in Davina who I'm pretty sure would run me over with a truck if it was legal?"

Gale started to laugh; a deep, rich sound that began as a chuckle before evolving into a contagious belly laugh. "Actually, I'm pretty sure she doesn't mind you. Sure, she'd run the Inheritors over with a truck, but you? You're practically family in her mind."

"I'm honoured," I commented dryly. "Davina Thorne does not actually hate my guts."

"In honour of Dav deciding to sort of like you and because it's your birthday, why don't you come over? We're all hanging out at the store."

"Ah, sure. Is it okay if Jules and his brother and sister come, too?"

"I'm pretty sure we all like kids. See you soon, BG."

Five minutes later, we managed to fit ourselves in Jules' car and were driving over to Stan's Photo. The six of them — Davina, Bo, Leo, Mikayla, Julean and Gale — were sprawled out on the front sidewalk, coloured chalk in their hands. They were drawing hopscotch grids on the pavement, but they were intimidatingly elaborate and large and illustrated in vibrant colours.

"Chalk!" Enna shrieked, hurling herself out of the car and running over to the group. Jules and I followed at a slower pace with Shar a few steps behind us.

"Hey, BG, Jules," Gale greeted with a lazy smile as he handed Enna a piece of pink chalk.

I smiled shyly, letting the dark curtain of my hair fall forward to cover my face as I accepted the piece of cobalt chalk that Gale handed to me. Liam's eyes were the same shade, but I forced down the ache in my chest before it could hurt.

"Reed?" My head shot up to meet Gale's concerned eyes. "You look a little constipated there. Are you okay?"

"Fine," I replied tersely.

Davina glanced in the plastic pitcher on the sidewalk. "We're out of lemonade," she announced. "Help me fill it up, Reed."

Hesitantly I followed her into Stan's and into the back room where a small kitchenette with a mini fridge was situated in the corner. Humming to herself, she dumped a frozen lemonade mix into the pitcher and added water and ice cubes while I fiddled uncomfortably with a hangnail on my thumb. She thrust a container of cookies into my hand, and I edged towards the door. "If that's all you need me for ..." I trailed off, jerking my head towards the front.