25. Oh who would ever want to be king?

It's the second-to-last chapter! Enjoy. :)

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y – F I V E | OH WHO WOULD EVER WANT TO BE KING?

The next day I walked into Shenanigans in a significantly better mood. Colton was already waiting for me. There was a cup of Americano next to him, and a stack of papers in front of the chair opposite to his.

Liam's dad looked up when I approached, a broad grin stretching across his face. "Reed. Excellent. I was wondering if you'd come."

"I was curious," I replied with a wry smile.

"All reporters are."

I glanced down at the stack of paper in front of me. The Castor Gazette — the same one that Liam had given me yesterday — was on top. "Why did you want to meet with me? Liam wouldn't tell me anything."

Colton folded his hands together, nodding at the newspaper in front of me. "My company recently acquired the Gazette. It is in desperate need of a revamp — the former editor ran it into the ground — but I'd like to offer you an internship at it this summer."

I blinked. "What?"

He continued to smile, looking eerily like his son. "I admire your determination, Reed. Liam told me how you've worked so hard on the feature about Kian. You're the kind of reporter I want working at my papers."

"I kind of suck at meeting deadlines — I haven't even finished the feature."

"Then finish it."

"It's not that simple."

"Of course it is." When I frowned at him, opening my mouth to argue, he held up a hand. "You have your facts, your personal connection, your quotes — you just have to put it together."

"Kian was — is — my half brother," I said slowly. "The personal connection is a little bit too personal."

"It's feels like you're writing his obituary, right?"

I shrugged. "I guess."

"Then write it like an obituary mashed with a normal article. Who cares?" He sipped his coffee. "So will you take the internship this summer?"

"I ... I don't know."

Colton smiled kindly. "Do you want to be a journalist, Reed?"

I sat back in my chair. Becoming a journalist had been my dream for a very long time, but after the events of the past few weeks, I wasn't sure if becoming a journalist was something I wanted — or if it was just a way to keep up with my mom.

"I don't know."

I was grateful that Colton didn't look angry as he handed me his card and stood up. "It's hard to make a decision for something this big without thinking it over, but I want you on my paper, Reed. Call me when you've made up your mind." With a final smile, he left Shenanigans.

I slumped in my chair.

What the hell was I doing?

Of course I wanted the internship! This was the actor's equivalent of a big break, and I was stupider than I thought if I was going to throw away. Even if I'd only taken up journalism as a way to become closer with my mom, writing had become a part of me. It was the way I could organize my thoughts.