Harvest Festival

"Once there was a farmer named Ol' Jack. He grew the biggest pumpkins anyone had ever seen. But his gift was also a curse. The crows stalked Ol' Jack's pumpkin patch to feast on his delicious crops. Their relentless cawing drove him to madness. Ol' Jack guarded his crop around the clock. Didn't eat. Didn't sleep. He stayed out there until his feet became rooted to the very ground. His arms became wooden and stiff. His own head turned into a pumpkin. Ol' Jack had become a scarecrow!" Turo says as the group is on the town hall roof building before hearing a horse and seeing Spirit below.

"Hey Spirit! Be right down!" Lucky shouts as she looks down at Spirit before sitting back down.

"Tonight we're going on a scavenger hunt to build our own scarecrows. Lest the crows come for us!" Turo says while holding a candle.

"Aunt Cora would hate this. I love it." Lucky says.

"I love it too. But it's also really scary." Abigail says.

"I don't find it that frightening." Alexis says as she is sitting in wolf form.

"Yeah but you also like spooky things due to your love of the night." Pru says as she smiles.

"Can I help it if I was born the way I was?" Alexis asks as she smiles.

"Boo!" A voice shouts from behind Abigail.

"Ah!" Abigail shouts in alarm before the group sees Javier.

"Javier! What are you doing here? We weren't expecting to see you." Alexis says as Javier sits beside her.

"I would never miss the Midnight Harvest Hunt." Javier says as he smiles at Alexis causing her to blush shyly.

"I'm sorry you had to find out this way Javier but I've moved on." Maricela says as she hugs Julian's arm.

"Want to hear what bone-chilling quests I've come up with for you? I've hidden the pieces for your scarecrows all over Miradero. Clothes, stuffing, even crows for their shoulders. Which you'll find perching in the spookiest place of all." Turo says as everyone looks out at Miradero.

"The cemetery?" Abigail asks nervously.

"The jail?" Pru asks.

"The schoolhouse! Once your scarecrow is done then and only then you've got to race to find the head of Ol' Jack in the pumpkin patch." Turo says as the group hears a gasp.

"Abigail it's okay. You know we're only doing this for fun. No need to be scared." Alexis says as Abigail is hiding behind her as she shifts to human form.

"Alexis is right. No reason to be afraid apart from dramatic effect. The winner is the first person to place Jack's head on top of his scarecrow." Turo says.

"Or her scarecrow." Lucky says before the group begins climbing down the building.

"So where should we begin?" Alexis asks as she climbs down with Lucky, Pru and Abigail.

"I know this town like the back of my hand now. I can win this thing no problem." Alexis says.

"No way!" Snips says as he is climbing before he falls.

"Snips! Nice catch Javier." Alexis says in relief seeing Javier catch Snips and put him down.

"My pleasure Snow." Javier says as he smiles.

"A smelly old girl has never won." Snips says.

"Well that changes tonight. And we're not smelly." Pru says as Turo, Julian and Mericela come over.

"Don't you think there's a reason a girl has never won before? Boys are faster than girls. We're braver and stronger. We're just all around better." Julian says.

"We'll show you who's better. Let's do teams. Girls versus boys. In fact let's bet on it." Lucky says as the group climbs down to the ground.

"I don't know. I'd almost feel bad taking your money. Unless you'd rather do my chores instead." Julian says.

"It's on! Losers do the winners tomorrow. Get ready to scrub dishes because Spirit is gonna help me win." Lucky says as spirit neighs.

"All right harvest hunters. First up you'll need to ride out to goose gulch and get a stake made from the bony fingers of the dead oak tree. And remember if the adults catch you we'll plant you in the pumpkin patch with Ol' Jack! Hunters ho!" Turo shouts as everyone runs over to their horses.

"Buena suerte Snow." Javier says as Alexis watches him get on his horse.

"Good luck Javier." Alexis says as she smiles while getting on Amber.

"I see you've been practicing learning your Spanish." Javier says as he smiles.

"Well I do enjoy knowing what you're saying to me. But still. Thanks." Alexis says as she smiles and blushes.

"So when are you going to say something to him?" Mericela asks as she gets on Amber behind Alexis.

"Maricela shh. I'll say something when I'm ready. Also why are you getting on Amber? I thought you weren't much for riding?" Alexis asks as she looks at Mericela.

"One I trust you and Amber and two you're my adopted sister. So I'm gonna ride with you. Just please try to go a little slow for me." Mericela says nervously as she holds onto Alexis.

"I'll do what I can but you know how fast Amber is. Hold on." Alexis says as the two groups set off.