4

Some days have passed since the graduation. Russia and Poland didn't see each other since then. However, even without so, Russia couldn't forget about him, the images of Poland's broken, swollen ankle and the memories of their night kept coming back and torturing him. His phone buzzed. It was another message from Poland. "Why are you ignoring me? I'm sorry about just leaving at the graduation, we're still friends, right? Please answer me!"

There was another message afterward, but Russia put his phone on silent. Poland had almost texted him every day since they stopped seeing each other in school and it was getting harder and harder to ignore him. He was so damn pathetic and Russia hated it. But he also couldn't bring himself to just block the Pole. The situation felt so complicated. It was not like he really cared for Poland. He was just trying to do what was best for his future as a country and his father's wishes for good political relations between him and the other. But why did the Pole make it so complicated? Russia was almost relieved when he heard a knock on his door.

It was his brother. Ukraine looked down, biting his lip. "Lunch is ready and Papa wants to talk with us," he said. "We have to be down at the lunch table in 10 minutes," he added, then quickly walked off. Russia sighed. Great. He knew exactly what that meant. Their dad signed them up for some random community service project yet again. As a communist, he tried to "do his part" and wanted his children to be "good communists" as well. Russia thought community service was kind of bullshit. However, their father could be very manipulative and once he got something into his head he wouldn't let go of it until he had won. Russia knew this all too well and Ukraine as well.

Russia put on a clean hoodie and put on his ushanka, then walked down to the dining room. Ukraine and his father were already seated. "Hello," his father said with a cheerful tone. "Hello," Russia answered, taking a seat next to his brother. Belarus was there as well, but she barely talked to anyone, instead she just sat there staring into nothing. Their father served them soup, rice, and some kasha. It was bland and watery and tasted like someone dumped a bucket of water into a flour bag and kneaded it.

"How was your day, dear?" their father asked their sister. "Okay," she answered briefly. "That's good," their dad said cheerfully. "Russia, have you already decided on what you want to study?" he asked. "Not really," Russia answered. "Well, you should hurry up, you only have one more year left," their father continued. "Yes, I know," Russia said. "The universities in the East are better, we should get you into one of those," their father continued, but Russia couldn't really concentrate on their father's words. The cracks on Soviet's face got bigger and more noticeable every day, and his once proud and imposing posture now seemed to be degrading into a sad and pitiful man.

However, Soviet tried to hide it behind his smile. "Well, there is no reason to just stay at home, I signed you up for community service. You will help with the cleaning of the park near our house," their father said. Russia sighed. "Great," he mumbled. "A bit more enthusiasm would be nice," his father continued, sounding almost mocking. "Why do you hate us?" Ukraine then interrupted, looking up at their father. Soviet sighed and looked down at the table. "I don't hate you, I love all three of you," he mumbled. "Then why do you treat us like shit all the time?" Ukraine asked.

"Language!" their father said sternly. Ukraine groaned and instead shoved a spoon in his mouth, taking a large bite of his soup. One could see in his facial expression, that he didn't like the food. Their father looked around the table at each of them, then he smiled. "I'm sure you will have fun," he said. Russia noticed Ukraine's shoulders tense as if he were about to snap again, but he didn't. He just bit his lip and said nothing. Their lunch ended and the three siblings left the dining room.

***

"When I run as my own country, I'm definitely not going to choose communism as my ideology," Ukraine said as he picked up some trash with a garbage bag in the park. "This community service is bullshit, but at least the park is going to be pretty again," Russia commented. Belarus nodded. "Da, there are even more birds now," she said quietly, watching a few birds fly around in the sky. "There's more garbage here, so we will be here for a while," Ukraine mumbled, pulling out his phone and sitting down on the grass.

"Then why are you sitting down? Get up and help us," Russia said. Ukraine gave him a dirty look. "Fuck off," he snapped. Russia tried to contain his anger. He knew that if he raised his hand again Ukraine would hate him forever and that thought made him sick to his stomach. So instead, he grabbed Ukraine's garbage bag as well and continued picking up the trash. However, what he didn't expect was to see Poland again.

The Polish boy was surrounded by multiple so-called figureheads, all of them representing some kind of minor political movement. They probably saw Poland as an easy target for indoctrination and now that he was old enough, it was perfectly legal for them to do so. The movement members had surrounded Poland and were talking loudly about how Poland should support their ideas. Poland stood there, visibly uncomfortable and kept trying to tell them to stop. Russia sighed, he was not surprised at all. It was just another day of the Polish boy getting bullied. Nothing seemed to have changed for the Pole since they graduated.

Russia told himself he could care less, but his eyes still kept looking at Poland, even though he didn't want to. When Poland noticed Russia's presence, Poland froze. His face went pale, but then slowly pushed past the figureheads, walking towards Russia. "Russia!" he exclaimed. "What are you doing here?" "Community service," Russia said bluntly, then gave the figureheads a glare, trying to make it clear that this was their clue to leave them alone. They left, but not without some huffs and glares.

"Why didn't you answer my texts? I was worried," Poland said and looked down, biting his lip. "I just don't want to talk to you right now," Russia said coldly. Poland flinched as if he were slapped. "But..." he tried to say, but then stopped and stared at the ground. Belarus walked over to them. "Are you talking to Poland?" she asked. "Unfortunately," Russia answered. Belarus then gave Poland a once-over. "Didn't Russia break your ankle on accident once?" she asked, sounding curious. Poland froze for a moment. It was more than once. And it never has been an accident even once.

Poland tried to cover his nervousness. "No," he said quickly. Belarus shrugged, not believing him. Russia decided to end this conversation quickly. "I have to pick up garbage now, goodbye," he said and picked up his garbage bag, walking off. "Wait!" Poland called out, but Russia didn't listen. Belarus followed her brother. As Ukraine saw the interaction between them, he got up and walked over to Poland. "Didn't I tell you to stay away from him?" he asked. "It's not like that," Poland said quickly, looking down. Ukraine blinked at him. "It's not?" he asked skeptically.

"No, I- I don't know why he doesn't want to talk to me anymore, I thought he liked me, but after graduation, he just started ignoring me. And I don't know why..." Poland mumbled. Ukraine sighed. "I'm sorry, Poland. Listen, I have an idea," he said and showed the smaller country his phone screen. Poland looked at it for a while, then grabbed Ukraine's phone. There was a chat open with Canada, Canada invited Ukraine to his brother's (USA'S) house party since their parents weren't home.

Confusion was written all over Poland's face. Ukraine gave a soft chuckle. "Let's go together," he said. "I'm sure you can find some decent friends there. You don't have to be alone, okay?" Poland still looked confused. "I mean, if it makes you feel better," Ukraine added. Poland's eyes began to water and he smiled. "Thanks," he whispered. "Oh, and don't get drunk or someone might get a bad idea," Ukraine added. "You are such a mom," Poland said with a giggle. Ukraine rolled his eyes, then heard some distant yelling. His siblings were calling for him. "See you there, I need to go now," he said. Poland nodded.