✧5✧

~ Regulus doesn't die in the cave, and he and Evangeline flee to New York.~

It had been a couple of months since Evangeline and Regulus Black left London and moved to New York to protect themselves and their baby. Since Evangeline's mother, Adalyn, did not know the truth about her family's past, Evangeline and Regulus decided to stay with Eva's grandparents, Agnes and Thomas, in their small house in New York City.

Evangeline was a few weeks away from giving birth. Regulus was walking around like a chicken with its head cut, trying his best to help Evangeline while preparing for their son's birth. He did his best to set up a nursery in the room next to theirs without any magic, but it was challenging.

Evangeline was sitting in the small backyard of her grandparents' home, reading a book and enjoying the sunny weather. She tried her best to read as many books about raising children who could perform magic, books given to her by her grandmother. As she filled a page of her book, she saw Regulus walking into the backyard. The 19-year-old sighed and sat down next to his wife. Evangeline closed her book and set it on the table near the loveseat.

'What is wrong, my love?' Evangeline asked Regulus, taking his hand, and intertwining their hands.

'Nothing,' Regulus mumbled, but Evangeline did not believe him, and she looked at him with a pointed look. 'It's just hard living like a Muggle,' he sighed.

Evangeline knew how hard it was for her husband not to use magic to do even the most straightforward task, but he tried for her. When they left London, they agreed upon living as non-magic folk would until their child would reach their 11th birthday and get to go to a school where they would be taught all about spells, potions and charms.

Regulus looked at his wife and then pulled her hand towards his lips, planting a gentle kiss on the blonde's hand. 'I hope he has your hair,' Regulus whispered.

'And I hope he has your intelligence and selflessness,' Evangeline said, smiling at her husband. 'Now, I know it's hard for you to live without what makes you special and different,' she sighed.

'You don't need to feel guilty about my decision,' Regulus assured his wife, pulling her towards him and wrapping his free hand around her shoulders while their intertwined hands rested on her belly. Regulus kissed his wife's head, and Eva laid her head on his shoulder. 'It's just something new, but I will get used to it quickly, I promise.'

'I don't want you to change too much and forget who you are,' Evangeline admitted, sighing.

'I shall never forget who I am. I am your loving husband,' he said, smiling at Evangeline. Then, he let go of her hand and put his hand on her belly, caressing it. 'I am this little one's father,' he added, still smiling. 'I am a good person. I am compassionate, cunning, and smart. Let's not forget how good of a Quidditch player I am.'

Regulus' last statement made Evangeline laugh. He liked to brag from time to time about how incredible of a Quidditch player he was, but he was still down-to-earth. Evangeline, despite not ever seeing him play, knew that he would not say that unless it was true.

'Do you miss them? Your family, I mean...' Evangeline asked her husband.

'I miss father and Narcissa,' Regulus admitted. 'Sirius, too, but I don't miss my mother nor the rest of them,' he added. 'You and this little one are now my family and my main priority.'

'I can't imagine life without you,' Evangeline told her husband. 'Do you think we got married too young?' she then asked him.

'I believe we got married when we thought the timing was right,' Regulus answered. 'And, to be honest, if I could go back in time I would not do things differently,' he admitted. 'I love you, Evangeline Moira Black,' he said, smiling down at his wife. '"Till death do us part", right?' he asked, making Eva laugh.

That part of their wedding vows became Regulus' favourite phrase to say after telling his wife how much he loved her. He liked to remember her of the promise he made before her and before their loved ones.