The Other King- A Deal With The Devil

“So what happened with Peter yesterday?” Jane asked, quickly pulling me in to the bakery. I shuffled inside, enjoying the warmth the stone oven gave off. “Child stop stealing the warmth and tell me what happened!”

Sighing I said, “He gave me a carriage ride.”

She rolled her eyes at me, “What did he say?”

“Well he talked about his father, how he rules the village, and then asked if he could court me.”

She gasped, “What did you say?”

“I said no of course. He’s a heartless man! How can if he love someone when he doesn’t even have a heart.”

“You shouldn't have denied him Amanda.” Her face was full of anxious. “You do not want him to kidnap you! what if he sees you! Does he know where you live?”

“Yes, I told him I lived in the South hill. Jane you cannot live in fear just because of one person. I refuse to hide like others.”

“You sound just like your mother.” She sighed. I turned away from her refusing to here anything more about my mother.

“I’ll sweep the shop today.” I told her taking out the broom from the closest. Jane nodded her head and walked to the back of the shop to mix the dough. I looked out the window as swept. It was another cold, windy day. No one was outside, steam was slowly arising from all their brick chimneys. Sighing I continued to sweep making sure I got every bread crumb, and every dust bunny.

The bells above the door jingled and in came the same boy from yesterday. His shirt was ripped and his pants were completely covered with dirt and grass stains. A dark purple bruise was running down from his left eye to the bottom of his chin.

I gave him a nice warm smile. He looked at me giving me a quick side smile. His brown hair ran down to the back of his nick with small, wavy curls, his bright, green eyes stood out from his pale skin. “Hi, can I help you?” I asked leaning the broom against one of the brown walls and walked behind the counter.

“Can have just a loaf of bread please.” He asked in low deep voice. Turning to around I looked at the loafs of breads that were there. I grabbed the freshest loaf I could find, unlike Jane I wouldn’t treat this man differently. I set it on to the counter, “That would be one

sickle.”

He looked down at his hand, “Actually I’ll just have half a loaf.” He set a small silver coin down on the counter.

“How about you just take it.” I handed him the bread and the coin.

He gave me a sincere smile, “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome. Now don’t eat it too as this time.”

He smiled up at me, “I’ll tell my brothers. Once they see me with bread they fight over it like rabid dogs. I’m lucky if I even get a crumb.”

I laughed, “Wow, you boys take your food seriously.”

“Yes they do. I don’t pull them apart they would probably kill each other for a piece.” He said nodding his head and laughing.

“What do your parents say?”

“Oh um…both my parents passed away.”

“I’m… I’m so sorry.” I felt so bad. Why must I always ruin a nice moment. “It is okay. My mother was sick and my father was just a drunk…” there was a moment of silence between us.

Jane came out with two pans of dough, her smile faded away as soon as she saw me talking to the boy. “Oh Jane this… I’m sorry I didn’t catch your name.”