The Other King- Ana and Craig

“Please do not embarrass me in front of my family. Now when you look decent come down and meet me at the front gates where we both shall greet my mother and brother, do you understand?” Peter’s mother Natalie, and brother Craig were both arriving today. His mother wanted to meet me before the wedding. She also wanted to plan it.

Unlike most brides to be I’m not scared to meet his mother, I do not care if she accepts me or not. I hope she does not accept me and denies our courting. Then maybe I shall be set free from this haunted place. I figured once I am set free I will move me and my father to another village. I have already decided I will not be moving to Craig's kingdom, in case he is anything like Peter. Francis has told me he is nothing like his father or Peter, and that his kingdom lives in complete harmony and peace.

I nodded my head, showing that I understand Peter’s requests. “What have I told you about just shaking your head at me. I request that you use your voice, you shall respect me for I am your husband to be and ruler. Now I shall meet you at the front gates, do you understand?”

“Yes.” My voice was nothing but a whisper. Peter left the room slamming the door in my face. I walked to the bathroom to check to make sure I looked decent. I do not wish to get another beating from him for looking indecent. Yesterday I had got a punishment for being silent all day. My father was wrong, silence is not always golden. I look at my reflection in the mirror. My blue eyes did not shine as they have in the past. My natural rosy colored cheeks were hidden behind the blue, purple bruise and white powder make up Peter gave me. My brown curly hair hung loosely around my face, bouncing with every step I took. Faint bite marks were starting to appear upon my bottom lip.

I look down my small body that has gotten smaller since I have arrived here, the lack of food and sleep was taking a toll on my body. Peter picked out a light blue dress for me to wear, he liked how it complemented my natural brown and pale skin.

Sighing I left the bathroom and left to meet him. I softly walked down the long flight of stairs and in to the main hall. I pushed open the wooden door to the outside world. A world I have not seen since I have been here. I do not wish to count the courtyards in the palace scene. I still felt as if I were trapped.

I stepped in to a nice warm summer day. I took a deep breath savoring the fresh air.

“My Lady, The King is waiting for your presence at the entrance.”

“I am aware, thank you.” I told the knight in front of the door. He nodded his head making his rusty suit squeak and went to his original position, staring out in to the distant looking for any signs of danger.

I walked down the small pebble filled path, going past all the white roses, summer bees, and a significant amount of small furry animals burring into the soft soil. I went over the small, wooden bridge, I stopped to look at the moat. My reflection showed such a sad girl who was in pain. The reflection was soon rippled away as a green duck came swimming by. Its feathers were a mixture of black, brown, and green. It gave out a loud quack before swimming underneath the bridge. I went on my away across the bridge. I soon saw a pair of big gates ahead of me and Peter's figure. He had his hands behind his back, standing up straight and tall with his chin high in the sky. I went and stood next to him, he ignored my presence and simply gave me a quick glance.

“What took you so long? If my mother would have arrived and you were not present she would have thrown a fit.”

“I am sorry. I was only enjoying your beautiful land.”

He sneered, “I hate all those roses. I would have ordered the peasants to get rid of them but my mother quite enjoys them.”

“That is very thoughtful of you.”