3 - Steve

It was 4am when Natasha woke up screaming from nightmares, thank god for the sound proof walls of her bedroom. The spy knew she wouldn't be able to sleep again tonight so she changed out of her nightwear and into her training kit. Natasha then left her bedroom and made her way to the training room of Avengers Tower.

As Natasha entered the training room she was surprised to see that someone had actually got there before her. Steve Rogers was stood in the corner of the large room aggressively hitting the hanging practice pad. Natasha was confused. Not only was Steve here at 4:20am, but he hadn't noticed her yet, which for a super soldier was quite strange. Natasha cautiously got closer to the super soldier.

"Hey Steve", she greeted softly when she was certain she was close enough for him to hear, however Steve didn't reply.

The soldier seemed entirely focused on something, Natasha just wasn't sure what. The spy watched Steve closely, he looked angry.

"Steve!" Natasha said a little louder this time trying to break him from his trance.

The super soldier jumped and sprung back a few steps away from Natasha. He was on edge but seemed to calm a little when he saw it was Natasha. Now he was facing Natasha, the spy could see he had water droplets streaming down his face, sweat or tears, maybe both. This wasn't like Steve.

"Steve? What's wrong?" Natasha asked softly as she took a few steps towards him.

His chest was rising up and down at a dramatic pace and his breath was fast. He was blinking a lot as if he was trying to concentrate on the words Natasha was saying but his mind was focused on something else.

"Um..its...its just a dream, a stupid dream", Steve replied quietly.

Natasha immediately understood, after all, didn't she wake up screaming herself not half an hour ago.

"Was it a dream or a nightmare?" Natasha questioned.

Steve's eyes met Natasha's and fear within his stare told her everything. He'd had a nightmare.

"Can you talk to me about it?" Natasha asked.

Steve nodded.
"Ahh, you know me and Sam found Bucky a few weeks ago", Steven began.

Natasha nodded. Bucky Barns was currently living in the shield headquarters recovery unit. Although Steve had found Bucky, he was still brainwashed and didn't remember Steve or his old life properly.

"My dream...nightmare was about him. Although he doesn't remember me particularly, he wants to. He has told us about how hydra brainwashed him by hacking into his brain and punishing him. I can't believe what he's been through Natasha, I don't even know how anyone can imagine what he's been through", Steve exclaimed.

Steve turned back to the punch bag and began hitting it again, much to Natasha's relief. Steve turning his back gave Natasha a few precious seconds to release a shaky breath. Her jaw was trembling and her hands were shaking. The voice in her head was taunting her as she tried to push it away.

'You don't have to imagine, You experienced it first hand'
'Brainwashing'

Natasha closed her eyes for a second to attempt to regain herself before looking back at Steve who was still punching the bag. She wasn't sure what he needed to help him but she was desperate.

"Steve", she said just louder than a whisper.

The super soldier didn't respond. Natasha sighed and extended her hand to gently touch Steve's shoulder which must have alerted Steve as he spun around to face the spy. As soon as Steve's body was facing hers Natasha quickly wrapped her arms around him.

Natasha felt Steve's hands wrap around her to until they were both pressed against each other. Natasha hoped Steve found the action as comforting as she did. The voices slowly left her head and she began to focus on Steve.

"Now, how about you try punching something that can hit back?" Natasha offered after a while.

"Alright, if you're sure I won't hurt you", Steve tried to joke.
Natasha smiled.

"You couldn't hurt me if you tried ".

The spy and super soldier walked over to the training mats and sparred their troubles away.