31 | calando

3 1

calando

adverb. gradually decreasing in volume and tempo.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

IN EARLY JANUARY, KELLER SENDS me an email

From: keller@music.halston.edu

Subject: Percussion - Spring Ensembles

Dear Callum,

I and the rest of the Music Department were very impressed with your leadership in marching band last semester. With your technique, skill and rapport with the University's percussionists we believe you would be a fantastic section leader in our spring ensembles.

Should you accept, I will send through an agreement and the relevant documentation (very similar to last semester). There would be no need to meet before rehearsals start.

Sincerely,

Maude Keller

This happened last semester; Keller sent an identical email to both Bay and I, throwing us together without warning in a bold and risky leadership model. Honestly, I expected as much to happen again. By some stroke of luck, Bay and I actually make a good team when paired together. My exuberance compliments her grumpiness; her steadiness grounds my high but mercurial energy. I want to see her again, I can't wait to see her again.

I reply back to Keller, accepting the role of section leader and asking whether it would be a good idea to meet with Bay to clarify the division of responsibilities between the HSO percussionists, pep band percussionists, and drumline who sometimes may or may not play with the pep band. With basketball and the winter and spring sports vying for shows, it's a more complicated system than marching band in fall, which enjoys the unified efforts of every musical student and staff member.

But she responds: Hi Callum, Bay is not participating in any spring ensembles, so no need.

The ground falls out from underneath my feet.

Sitting at my desk, my hand grips the wooden in search of a stable surface. I read Keller's email without blinking. What does she mean, Bay's not participating? In none of the bands? For the whole semester? Immediately, my brain conjures up worst-case scenarios. The only reason Bay wouldn't play music is if she physically couldn't. She loves band.

Bay took a tumble and broke both of her wrists, rendering her unable to play any percussion instrument. Or she has carpal tunnel syndrome, or early onset arthritis. Some unprecedented injury. No-one notified me because there's no-one to do the next-of-kin responsibilities, and no-one even knows how important she is to me, and she's all alone in hospital right now—