Chapter Four

"I don't think there's anything to talk about. Moreover, I got a text from my mother. She wants me to run some errands for her. I think I should get going. I will text you after I get back home," Saying that, Jake left.
He didn't even bother to listen to what I had to say. I was bewildered by his actions.
"Did he ignore me on purpose? Was he my old Jake? Did I just say 'my Jake'? Oh, how naive of me to think like that. He was never mine. I knew from the beginning that he is a Playboy. All he does is flirt with everyone. But, why am I affected by this? We were never more than best friends. I was in the wrong to expect an explanation from him in the first place. Does he think that it was all a mistake? I'm just overthinking. He must be really occupied. He will definitely get back to me once he gets back home," I thought loudly.
Later that day, my parents came back home from their 2-day business trip from Chicago. Their flight was at 8 in the morning, and it took them around 3 and a half hours to reach Denver, my city.
"Stew, my lil boy, I missed you so much," my mom hugged me as soon as she entered my room.
"I missed you too, Mom," I said, hugging her back.
"Didn't Jake come over? I thought he was with you," she wondered.
"Yes, he was with me, mom. But, I wish you were here," I said still hugging her.
"What happened to my boy? He missed his mom a lot, it seems. Generally, he doesn't when he's with his best friend. Is my son all right?" She asked, jokingly.
"If only she were here, nothing would have happened between me and Jake. But, how would she know that? I didn't even have the courage to tell her about last night," I thought, closing my eyes.
"Mom, I'm okay. Can't I miss you? I missed your freshly baked Christmas cake this year," I replied, breaking the hug.
"Aww, I'll bake as many cakes as you want. I just don't want to see you depleted like this," she cooed, pinching my cheeks.
I was a grown ass 21-year-old man, but my mom used to treat me like a 5-year-old. I liked it though. No one had ever taken care of me like she did. Every diminutive thing about me was important to her. If only Jake was like that. I didn't know why I was thinking about Jake. I couldn't brush what happened between us last night off my mind. The only thing I could do at that time was to wait for Jake's text.
5 hours passed. 10 hours passed. A whole day passed. There was no text from him. It was foolish of me to wait for his text when it was clear that he didn't want to talk about what happened between us. If he wanted to talk, he wouldn't have left without giving me any closure that day. He was my best pal, and no day passed without talking to him. He was my only friend with whom I had been friends with since ages. Why did he have to disappear like that? Was I hurt? Yes, I was, but I was more disappointed than hurt. I was lonely again, but I didn't let that affect me. I tried to move on with my life.
Two whole weeks passed. I somehow managed to put my life back on track. That day, I had to go to my aunt's house for a new year's party. She was out of town, so she was celebrating late. My mom informed me about that party in the morning and strictly instructed me to get dressed before 6 in the evening. I opted for a well-fitted button-down shirt in a vibrant hue. The shirt, adorned with small buttons, created a polished and put-together look. To accompany the shirt, I chose a pair of charcoal gray tailored pants.As I slipped into a pair of polished black dress shoes, I felt a sense of confidence and poise. To complete my ensemble, I carefully selected a few accessories that reflected my personal style. A simple but stylish belt, coordinating with the color of my shoes, providing a polished and put-together look.
"Stewie, are you ready? We are getting late. Dad is waiting in the car," mom said, knocking on the door.
"Yes, mom, I'm ready. I'll be down in a minute." I shouted from across the room.
"You better hurry," Saying that, my mom went downstairs.
Getting a hold of my favorite deodorant, I delicately pressed down on the nozzle, a mist of refreshing fragrance enveloped me, instantly awakening my senses. I looked in the mirror one last time before heading downstairs. I was looking PERFECT.
"Stewie, quickly lock the front door. I'm about to start the car," dad said, twisting the ignition key to start the car.
Locking the front door, I hopped into the car. My father started the car by turning the key in the ignition. It was after a long time that we were together like that. Both my parents worked, so they didn't get to spend enough time with me, but when they did, they made sure that I enjoyed their company to the fullest. I had always liked spending time with them because in my eyes they were the coolest parents. My father was a businessman, and my mother helped him in his business. Both of them were intellectual individuals, especially my mother. My mother had a whopping IQ of 145. She was Asian, and Asians were known for being intellectual individuals. My father on the other hand, was an American. They were in their late 40s, but they always looked like newlyweds. I had never seen my parents fighting in front of me. They always took care of each other instead. Not only were they business partners, but they also always helped each other with housework. They had the healthiest relationship. Their love story was also very sweet. They fell in love when my mother moved to Denver from India to do an MBA and took admission in the same business school as my father's. Their relationship was a haven of support and encouragement. In times of triumph, they celebrated each other's achievements, their pride radiating like a thousand suns. And in moments of vulnerability, they were a shoulder to lean on, offering unwavering support and understanding. In conclusion, their love was like a warm embrace, enveloping them in a cocoon of safety and happiness. They had the type of relationship I always aspired to have.
"What's going on in your life, buddy? Any update?" Dad queried.
"What kind of update are you exactly looking for, dad?" I asked, cocking a brow.
"Come on, Stew, you're not a baby anymore. You know what we are talking about," mom said, wiggling her eyebrows.
"No, I still don't know what you guys are exactly talking about," I shrugged my shoulders.
"Do you have anyone you like, Dumbo?" My dad asked, rolling his eyes.
"No, I don't. And I want to focus on...."
"Enough with your lies. It's visible on your face that you're hiding something from us." I got interrupted by my mom as I was about to finish my sentence.
"He was acting all suspicious the day we came back home from Chicago," my dad added.
"Mom, dad, cut this out. I really don't have anyone I like. I'll tell you once I get a girlfriend," I said, sighing deeply.
"Or boyfriend. The way you act when you are around Jake is really suspicious. I really feel like you guys will end up together," mom said, breaking into a hysterical laughter.
"Calm down, darling. I know your point is valid, but I'm driving, so I can't concentrate on it," dad smiled, keeping his hands on the steering wheel and eyes on the road.
"Sorry, Josh, I'll keep that in mind the next time," mom blew a kiss at dad.
"Jesus Christ! Kavya, I told you I'm driving a moment ago, and your kisses are not doing me any good. You're distracting me," dad said, helplessly.
"Guys, stop flirting. I'm still here," I said, glaring at them.
"This is why I tell you to get a girlfriend, Stew," mom said, glaring back.
My mom was like that. She was definitely the coolest person, but she also never missed an opportunity to bully me. We always bickered like kids, and my dad was the peacemaker. His job was to make us reconcile. I always felt grateful for the time I spent with my family because it was filled with laughter, love, and great discussions. I would prefer spending time with them over my friends. I was having a great time until my mother said something that appalled me.
"Oh, Stewie, I called Jake and told us to join this evening because I didn't want you to feel bored. Thank me later," she winked.
I couldn't process what she said for a moment. My mind was not working anymore. My heart was thumping against my chest. I never felt that uneasy in my life. I did not want to talk to Jake after what he had done to me. He ghosted me, his best friend, for two fucking weeks. I wanted to kick his flirty ass. I tried to not think about those things and brush everything off my mind. Just when I was feeling a little better, I  heard a "ding" sound on my phone. I got a text from someone  I didn't think would text me.
"Sorry for being a jerk to you. I promise I will never do this again." Jake texted.
My heart skipped a beat after reading his text. I didn't reply to him right away because I wanted him to understand that what he did to me was wrong. Putting my phone upside down beside me, I started talking to my parents again. After a minute, I was inundated with a constant stream of texts.
Are you there?
Stew? Don't be mad at me.
I wanted to text you but couldn't because I was spiralling.
Stew? Hello?
Stewie Evans, don't ignore me like that. Let me explain, please.