Prologue

???

"Are you sure you want to go through with this?" Two figures were standing in an alleyway near the doorway of a low-end private school. This place radiated nothing- it was the most mediocre place the two could think of. "We could just let it die. Seems like a lot of work for some silly experiment." The one who had spoken before said.

"I'm not a monster!" The other exclaimed. This one was shorter, and also had less of a harsh aura around her. "Plus it might be useful, and it's really not that hard." Though the truth was, she couldn't let this kid die. It was so helpless, asleep in her arms. Even though she wasn't its biological mother, she loved it like it was her own.

The spell her comrade had put on this child would wear off soon. After that, who knows what would happen. This child would have an even more miserable life if she somehow found a way to keep it, so this was the only option.

The shorter figure stepped out of the alleyway into the moon-lit street. The taller one scoffed and started muttering to himself.

The figure reached the door of the building that she had selected. She set the 4-year-old down with its precious witch doll and conjured the letter she had written beforehand. She put it beside the child and started an enchantment.

Such a shame its memory had to be wiped. All those fond, and not so fond, memories- maybe it was better if the child never knew her. The figure shivered just thinking about what this kid might think of her when it grew up. That's why I'm wiping its memory, remember? The figure had to remind herself.

"OI!" The other whisper-yelled from the alley. "Hurry up! I'm starting the spell for the rip, if you get left behind, it's not my fault."

The shorter one cursed under her breath. "Okay little one," she said softly. "It's time for me to say goodbye. I'm sorry this is how it all ended up. Stay strong my Riley." She shed a single tear.

The figure got up and turned back into the alleyway, trying not to look back. As she slipped into the pitch-black rip, she saw Riley shudder and the lights in the building flicker on. Then, the darkness enveloped her.

I hope I made the right choice.
Is this goodbye forever Riley?

WC: 412