Chapter 3 - Acceptance

Ponyboy's POV:

Another sleepless night... I sighed and sat up. Feeling the sun shine through the window and hit my skin. I was up all night thinking about Johnny, and what would happen if I told him how I feel. I had to admit it sooner or later, to him and myself. Nows not the time. I rubbed my eyes and got up.

I walked out into the hall and was soon greeted by Steve snoring on the couch, Soda in the kitchen, and Darry was reading the newspaper in his chair. "Good morning, Soda. You too, Darry." I rub my eyes again, still tired. Darry smiled at me, "Good morning, Pony." Well, atleast he's in a good mood. I heard Soda yelling from the kitchen, "Good morning, Pony! Could you wake Steve up, please?"

I sighed and walked over to the couch. I shook Steve a couple times. "Steve, wake up." He didn't budge. I groaned and shook him more violently. "Steve. Wake. Up." He moved slightly. "Ok, that's it." I pulled him off the couch. He fell to the floor rather quickly and woke up with a jolt. "What the hell, Pony?!" He looked startled. I shrugged. "You wouldn't wake up." I sat down on the couch. "You could've had Soda wake me up." I could've sworn I saw him grin and wink at Soda as he walked out into the living room. Soda rolled his eyes playfully in response.

"I was in the kitchen, so I had Pony do it. Besides, it seemed he got you up, no?" Soda grinned. Steve playfully rolled his eyes and grinned. "I got the cake ready for you guys." He smiled at us. Steve shot up and almost ran to the kitchen. He came back with a chunk of the cake in his hand. I heard Darry sigh.

"You know we have plates and utensils, right?" Darry stood up and looked at him. Steve shrugged. Darry went out to get some of the cake. Soda came out with some on a plate and was eating it with a fork. Steve somehow managed to get the cake on his nose. I laughed when I noticed it and so did Soda.

"Hey, Steve, I think you got a little somethin." Soda giggled as he gestured around his mouth. Steve shrugged. "Oh well." Steve turned his head to look at the TV. Soda sat down beside him, both on the floor in front of the TV. Steve must've finished his cake as he reached over and took Soda's. He took the plate and fork and grinned as he started eating it. "Oh, what the hell man?" Soda sighed and stared at Steve. Steve stuck his tongue out, playfully. Soda looked disgusted since there was cake still on his tongue. "Gross, Steve."

Soda tried to take his cake back, but failed. Steve and Soda were practically wrestling for the cake. "If you guys get that on the floor, you're cleaning it up." Darry said sternly and looked at the two as they stopped almost instantly. "Good." He walked over and sat in the armchair.

Soda and Steve were bickering. "Steve, give me my cake back, would ya?" Soda tried reaching for it but Steve moved it away from him. "No, go get a different piece." Soda looked almost annoyed with him. "Why didn't you get another piece?!" Steve laughed. "Because I wanted yours." He grinned. "Yeah? Well last time I checked, your name wasn't 'Dallas Winston', so give it back." I chuckled at the joke. Steve looked confused.

Soda took his cake back and continued eating it. "Oh man, you ate like all of it! And, you ate the frosting off, what the hell?! Who does that?!" Steve started laughing. "I do when the cakes not mine! Anyway, what's that whole thing about me not being Dally?" Soda looked at him. "Dal always gets what he wants, no matter what." Soda shrugged slightly. "It don't matter too much, don't think about it a whole lot." Steve nodded. "Alright."

- Time Skip -

Me, Soda, and Steve were all watching TV. Well, for the most part. I don't think he noticed, but I kept seeing Soda glance at Steve. Odd. After some time Steve stood up. "Well, I better get goin' to my place." I nodded. "Yeah, you've been here long enough." Steve laughed. "Y'know kid, just cause you said that, Imma stay here longer." He grinned. Soda put his hand on his arm. "No, you should go home, Steve." Soda spoke softly. "You have been here for a couple days now." He smiled at him. Steve returned the smile. "Yeah I guess." Steve waved to Soda and walked out the door.