Tensions

"Oh, and before I forget..." Erwin stated, as he got Kira to stop again. "Can you please get along with Levi."

"Really? Now you're scolding me about him too!" Kira spat back, groaning at the mention of the Captain. "He's so stuck up that he doesn't need something shoved—"

"Kira. Don't argue with me on this. Your attitude the past week has been appalling." Erwin shot down, sternly raising his voice as he stared down the uncooperative girl in front of him. "Look, I know you don't like him, but just do it. I'm not saying you have to be best friends, but if you put your pride before everyone else, you'll get yourself and others killed. Understood?"

"Understood..." Kira murmured.

"Good. Just remember that when we're outside of the Walls, we're all people fighting for the same thing." He continued, "If you compromise another mission because of your distaste towards Levi, I will have no other choice but to send you to Commander Shadis to deal with you. This is your only warning... I don't want to keep talking to you like this. You're dismissed."

"Yessir..."

After leaving Erwin's office, she was back wandering around the headquarters looking for Sylvia, Cole and Lynne. She took the habitual route to the mess hall, her boots clicking to the wooden floor of the castle. As she made it out to the courtyard, she was lost in her swirling thoughts. Until she heard the voice of the man she was thinking about. 'Shit, it's Levi!' She thought, jumping in her skin as she hurriedly rushed back the way she came.

'Erwin was right...' She thought, as she bowed her head, embarrassed by how Erwin had to speak to her. She knew he was correct. 'I'm being an idiot. I lashed out on Levi and I nearly got him killed...' Her mind started to spiral at her shameful actions, 'I'm the worst...'

As she listened to him talk to Harvey, the bubbling ache that rose from her gut warned her mind and chest of the unease. She was festering in guilt and she didn't know how to approach the unapproachable Captain.

'What do I even say...' She thought as she took another peer from around the corner of the stone wall. But even with each heavy breath calming her down, she couldn't do it. She ran even before she tried.

Every time Kira noticed her second squad leader, she snuck away before he could even notice her presence. It was like that for two days. Even during squad meetings with both his own and Erwin's, she wouldn't dare speak or make the slightest eye contact with him.

Whilst letting their horses graze, Kira and Sylvia were lying down at the foot of a tree, letting the beams of sun rejuvenate their energy like their horses. Kira laid down freely, keeping an arm above her head, her legs slightly splayed on the ground like a kid who was exhausted from playing in their garden. On the other hand, Sylvia was less rambunctious, her arms were rising up and down on her stomach, with her legs crossed.

Sylvia's looks we're always full of wonder and curiosity. Despite her looks being so harsh and a stare as freezing as an iceberg. Her pale skin that shone in the sunlight, warmed her face, making the freckles that were sparsely scattered more noticeable. Her deep auburn hair, which Kira thought was fully red, nightly reflected its colour, twinkling in the corner of her hazel eyes. Kira could never tell what colour Sylvia's eyes were. Were they a cold and pale blue like the iceberg, or were they a pale green, like the rolling fields outside the Walls? While it was such a minute feature, it added to the mystique of her best friend.

Sylvia's words were always clear and rational. It's the thing Kira liked most about her friend: her honesty. And with her conflict, she needed someone to hear her out, before she burst like she did during the expedition.