Part Seven

CHAPTER SIX

Entering the house, Leilani immediately fell in love. The city apartment was opulent, extravagant, and oozed wealth. Renato's Pontelandolfo home was undoubtedly expensive, furnished impeccably with classic soft white leather lounges, designer rugs, and traditional paintings strategically adorning the walls. There was one stand-out difference. It felt like a home.

Maybe it was the magazines artfully scattered on the hand-carved walnut coffee table, or the plump beige pillows. Leilani could imagine it in winter, with the log fire warming up the room and a soft chintzy blanket covering her legs. It was a room someone could relax in at the end of a tiresome day.

Renato showed Leilani briefly through the house and left her to freshen up in her room with a directive to meet in the informal dining room in an hour. It would give her enough time to look through her emails and see if there were any updates.

She opened up her Hotmail account and regretted her impatience immediately. Not only was there no update, but her inbox was jammed full. It seemed that her email address had been made public.

She received offers to disclose sordid details of Renato's personal life in exchange for ludicrous financial gain. Strangers wanted to know more about who she was, and there was even some hate mail from women who believed she was not good enough for him.

It was all rather overwhelming and, truthfully, more than a little intimidating. She quickly shut it down and made her way to the living room.

Glancing up, Renato was not surprised to see Leilani had not bothered to change. "Take a seat," he directed, sounding sterner than he had intended. She was looking strained, and he was almost tempted to ask how she was feeling.

Curbing the gesture, he got down to business and explained everything to her.

Leilani's mouth worked like a goldfish opening and closing several times; her face worked through a multitude of differing shades of red. "You want to marry me?" she squeaked.

Renato sat bemused. I want you to marry me under the conditions I have just advised you."

"Uh, this is a little overwhelming and majorly underwhelming at the same time. Could you please run through the gist of this again, and explain to me why I would want to marry you?"

"You will marry me because it is the right thing to do. My ethics have been raised into question at a most inconvenient time to my business. We are in the middle of a very lucrative acquisition, and the press releasing this story on us has the potential to unravel my business deal. A deal that I will not lose under any circumstance. You will marry me, and I will reward you appropriately."

"I'm not interested in being rewarded. I'm not here for financial gain."

"Everyone has a price, Leilani. Even if it is not monetary."

"Well, I don't require a reward. You are very melodramatic, and I'm sure you will not lose the deal once the situation blows over," she stated emphatically.

"You do not understand. I have gone to great lengths to improve my public image specifically for this acquisition. Generally, I couldn't care less about public opinion, but because of today, my integrity is being questioned, and I do not lose," came the steely reply.

"I'm sorry about your deal, but that does not mean I'm going to marry you."

"You are happy to lose your self-respect so publicly?"

"I'm a nobody, Renato. I'll be yesterday's news within twenty-four hours."

"Don't be too sure about that. The press is merciless for details on my life. They will hound you, pester your family and friends, and this will not end anytime soon. Here," he reached for his phone and dialled a number.