Part Five

CHAPTER FOUR

Finally, they landed in Rome. The second leg of the journey was much more pleasant when Renato organised an upgrade to business class. First class was completely booked; however, the attendant was falling all over herself to get him into better seating. One thing was for sure: women fawned all over him, and he didn't even have to be particularly nice or deserve it.

She felt a twinge of jealousy. It was more an annoyance at the comfortable life he led and the lack of appreciation he seemed to have for it. She wanted to kiss the hostess's feet for this miracle. Renato, on the other hand, didn't even look mildly impressed. He quietly took his seat and continued to read his paper.

Exiting the airport, Leilani felt a surge of excitement; she was, after all, in Italy. She forgot about the fright she must look, the intimidating but gorgeous celebrity by her side, and the fact that she was going back to his apartment— and just took in her new surroundings. So far, it was just an airport. However, she was still enthused. Outside, the sun was shining, and the temperature was high, and, once again, she wished to take off her ridiculous knit jumper.

Luckily, they were soon in a chauffeur-driven shiny black Mercedes-Benz. The interior had that wonderful leather smell. She felt nervous about sitting on the seat for fear of leaving a mark. Her luggage was in the boot, and they were on their way. She thought about asking what part of Rome they were going to but realised that any name would only sound as unfamiliar as the next. She also didn't want to give him any more reason to believe in her incompetent or foolish. Instead, she stayed rather quiet and just took in the view.

They were driving on the opposite side of the road from driving in Australia, and that felt strange, not to mention how the car was going a lot faster than what she was used to. She doubted she would ever be brave enough to drive on the roads in Italy.

Leilani stopped looking at the chaotic traffic since it did nothing for her nerves. Street signs were in Italian— something she should have expected— and she noticed the word Uscita on the last couple of signs and figured that perhaps they were heading in the direction of Uscita.

"What are your first thoughts of Italy?"

Leilani jumped a little. She wasn't sure how he always managed to feel so unexpectedly close. They were seated side-by-side in the back of the Merc, even though the seat was very spacious. "It's fascinating. I didn't know what to expect. Can I hazard a guess that your apartment is in Uscita?"

Renato laughed and said something to the chauffeur in rapid Italian that had him also bursting out in laughter.

"I've apparently gotten it wrong," she said sheepishly, feeling embarrassed.

"You shouldn't feel embarrassed. It was a good guess, and you are observant. The word uscita means 'exit,' so if we were to continue driving, you would see the word many more times and probably have figured it out," he chuckled. "Do not worry. I have been laughed at many times over the years for my inadequacies with English," he said self-deprecatingly.

"Your English is flawless though, and I hardly think many would dare to laugh at you."

Renato enjoyed the rosy colour that so quickly appeared in her cheeks. He didn't have to work hard to fluster her, and he felt more confident than ever at his ability to reel her into his plan. "My English has improved over the years, but that is not to say that I don't get the odd saying mixed up. What makes you think that others wouldn't dare to laugh at me?" He couldn't resist putting her on the spot.

Her cheeks bloomed brightly once again, and she stumbled over an answer. "I don't know. You just seem a bit serious, I guess."

She looked so uncomfortable that he changed the subject and instead advised her that they were nearly there.