Part Twenty-One - Epilogue

EPILOGUE

A month later...

Leilani looked around the table at her wonderful- if slightly unorthodox- family. Her mother, whom she'd very emotionally reconnected with, sat across from her, next to Vittorio. The man could be a little frightening to some, but she knew better. He was a softy deep down, and, empowered with that knowledge, she could no longer take his bark seriously.

She had thanked him profusely for all that he'd done for her over the years. It didn't matter to her that the money, the letters, nor the presents had reached her. It was the thought that had honestly counted and knowing that he had gone to that effort for her meant everything. She had kissed him on his cheeks and flung her arms around him, embracing him in a hug to make up for all the missed years.

"You may not have been my real father, but you have shown me more love than any other father I've had," she stated sincerely. He'd gruffly accepted and, smiling, promptly told her to quit carrying on about it.

To her right, pouring champagne for Rosa, was the love of her life, her adoring and much-adored husband. "I'm sorry, but sparkling apple juice will have to do for you," he laughed.

She had given him a mock grimace before he proposed a toast. "I have something I'd like to say," he stated somberly.

Renato had all of their attention before beginning. "I wanted to take a moment to acknowledge my amazing wife," he started. "As you are all aware, none more so than you, my sweetheart," he gazed directly at her. "I began our relationship, well- pretty poorly," he openly admitted. "But you generously forgave not only me, but I hope I can speak for all of us?" at Rosa and Vittorio's nod. "You opened your heart to all of us here and allowed us to be your family."

Tears were welling in her eyes at her husband's beautiful, heartfelt words. "But Leilani, it is we who are privileged to be allowed into your world. You show us daily how much you care, with all the little things you do. We don't want you to think that any of it goes unnoticed. Most women can talk the ear off a cob of corn," he said, and they all laughed, "But you, my sweet, you listen, you understand, and you support, and we don't take that for granted. Now, I could go on all day," he proposed.

"Please have mercy on us," Rosa laughed, beaming with pride at the both of them.

"Fine; I will just say this. Leilani, I know we had an unconventional start to our marriage. However, I promise you this: I will never intentionally hurt you or let you down. I will be faithful all of my days, and I will love you eternally," he declared. "Finally, I will love our baby and all future children to come," he shouted proudly.

Leilani embraced her husband, and they kissed each other with genuine love.

"Break it up," Vittorio demanded, but his smile gave away his joy in the couple.

"I love you so much," she stated simply. Her eyes shining with happiness, she turned to the dinner that was being placed before them all.

"I'm so proud of the two of you," Rosa stated, a catch in her voice.

"It's alright, Mum; I love you, and I'm so glad you are here," she knew her mum still felt raw. It had been a great shock to find out that her husband of so many years had been a liar, a gambler, and a thief. They hadn't decided to press charges, but Rosa had up and left him.

Renato had been incredibly supportive and offered her a place in his home. "You are family," he had comforted her mother. However, it turned out that she didn't need the accommodation for long.

Leilani watched as her mother fussed over Vittorio during the meal. Their love had never actually died; the embers just needed a puff of oxygen to breathe life into flames.