Chapter 17

The weekend's over, it's Monday. I didn't sleep at Larissa's last night. I've actually been avoiding her a little. I just can't be with her at the moment, since I found out that she's trying to keep these recent murders a secret. That is so unacceptable.

She did text me a couple of times, but I didn't even bother to open those.

Speaking of, I hear another ping on my phone, now opening the messages as I'm walking to my next class.

L: Hi hun, thank you for last night, I had a really great time ❤️🥰
-Sent 11:39am, yesterday

L: Do you want to come by my office later? Or we could go to the Weathervane to grab some coffee?
-Sent 1:58pm, yesterday

L: I understand if you're busy, I have some work to do myself, too... 🥱😆
-Sent 4:17pm, yesterday

L: Is everything okay?
-Sent 5:28pm, yesterday

L: Are you coming to my place to sleep tonight? ❤️
-Sent 6:33pm, yesterday

L: I'm sorry if I'm bothering you so much... I just want to make sure you're okay.
-Sent 6:34pm, yesterday

L: Darling, are you okay? Why are you not responding?
-Sent 8:54pm, yesterday

L: Y/N, at least text me you're alright. I'm getting worried.
-Sent 9:07pm, yesterday

L: Please be okay.
-Sent 10:56pm, yesterday

L: I love you.
-Sent 11:02pm, yesterday

I sigh deeply as I read everything she sent to me. I feel bad for ignoring her, but she shouldn't keep something like that from me. It just hurts, knowing that she's not able to trust me enough to tell me that.

I look at the newest message she just sent me.

L: Please come to my office after your classes, I need to speak with you. ❤️
-Sent 1:24pm, today

I decide to answer, not to make her worry more.

Y: I'm sorry, I have my study session with Ms Thornhill after classes.
-Sent 1:25pm, today

She immediately replies.

L: Could you stop by after it? Please?
-Sent 1:25pm, today

L: I miss you. 💖
-Sent 1:26pm, today

I feel really bad about this. I don't want to avoid her. But I need some time to think.

Y: We usually chat for hours with Ms Thornhill, so I don't think I'll have time to stop by today.
-Sent 1:27pm, today

After sending that message, I shut the phone. During all my classes today I find it hard to focus. I can't help but think of everything that's been going on recently. The murders, the monster, the cover-ups, the role Larissa plays in all of this...

And apparently, other people can notice my lack of focus, too. I get several complaints from my teachers, telling me to pay attention but also asking me if I'm okay.

Now I'm off to my favourite part of Monday. Ms Thornhill's study session.

"Hellooo, anyone here?" I call out as I enter the conservatory.

"I'm here!" Ms Thornhill announces herself from somewhere between the tall plants. "Hi, hun! How are you?" She asks as she runs up to me and hugs me.